urban horizontal radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi...I have just bought an Urban double panel radiator from Victoria Plumbing. I ordered an horizontal radiator ( it's on my invoice ) but they have sent me a vertical radiator. there is no difference you can use a vertical rad. in horizontal position. The only problem is there are centre blocks in the vertical one which according to the instructions must be removed if fitting horizontal . They are removed with a steel bar and hammer. That's the only info. given. I have been in touch with customer services and they are about as much good as a chocolate fireguard. They say it is optional to remove the centre blocks, then why do the instructions say remove them. I want to know what to do before I fit it. What happens to the centre block when knocked out , will it block the rad. pipework ? If anyone has had dealings with this rad. please enlighten me.
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
They are in there to force the flow to the top of the rad when fitted in the vertical position.
Can you not remove them entirely?
Personally I wouldn't touch these companies....you have no idea where that rad comes from or the quality...the instructions are laughable.
A significant number of "designer" rads just don't work even brand new with multiple rails failing to heat.

The only problem is there are centre blocks in the vertical one which according to the instructions must be removed if fitting horizontal .
Atleast they have supplied instructions,thats a 100% improvement from many other radiator mail order internet sales companies.

The center block acts as a diverter for use when the radiator is fitted vertically,for your horizontal install the diverter (block) needs to be fully poked out and discarded. They come out quiet easily (y)

Fitted a few of them horizontal and they work well (y)

I have been in touch with customer services and they are about as much good as a chocolate fireguard.
thats somewhat unfair,remember they are only a sales company and not the distant manufacture. They require the installer to be suitably qualified :mrgreen: its mentioned in their instructions :cautious:

Sponsored Links
The block is pre-punched and when you use a 10mm bar and hammer it invariably splits at the weakest point and is usually still attached to the outside part of the block by a tag of metal.

How a self cutting tap leaves the cut circle of metal on the pipe once it's cut, springs to mind.

Would it cause problems if it detached and was loose at the bottom of the radiator ..... probably not.

The block is pre-punched and when you use a 10mm bar and hammer it invariably splits at the weakest point and is usually still attached to the outside part of the block by a tag of metal.

How a self cutting tap leaves the cut circle of metal on the pipe once it's cut, springs to mind.

Would it cause problems if it detached and was loose at the bottom of the radiator ..... probably not.
many thanks everyone job done but flow diverter was metal not rubber as customer services said. Now the flow diverter is out can I use the rad. any way round for inlet and outlet because there are labels on the rad. saying inlet and outlet but i'm guessing that is just for vertical hanging . ok forward to some advise
mickcoulson

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back