Urgen plaster peeling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any urgent advice hugely needed - thanks in advance if you can help in any way! Builders are currently decorating old 70s flat. In a kind gesture, they thought they would replaster the lounge. They have skim plastered onto the old plasterboard (walls and ceiling). This was left for a few days only (bit short?) to dry, and then undercoat and 1 of 2 paint layers applied. Got the dreaded call today that the plaster hasnt taken and is just peeling off. If this one of those things with plasterboard or is there an obvious reason for this? Just need help so it doesnt happen again as turning into a nightmare! Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Sorry mean to add, all walls prepared with PVA, then plastered. Subsequent mist coat applied after few days. Think that should make more sense?! So for some reason the plaster has blown over large areas. I guess this could be due to the old surface, bearing in mind we have no idea what it was finished with before. Any ideas or is it scratch head time?!

Did they check if there was wall-paper on the walls?

Dunno why but nothing about this thread sounds right. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean joe , If they say plaster hasn't taken then what made it come off? Sounds like they may have plastered over wallpaper!!

No the paper was definitely off. They had another look and are fairly sure its down to distemper. What to do about it is another thing. Think they are boarding over ceiling. Whats best to deal with the walls?

Builders working for nothing? Plasterers who don't know what they are doing? Plasterboard covered in distemper?

Why don't you tell what is really going on and we might be able to help you. :confused:

Sorry Joe, your clearly a prolific poster in these fora, but I have no idea what you're trying to get at?!
I think, with the panic of plaster falling off walls, and having absolute zero experience in decorating/renovating/building, I can be excused of a few typos and misunderstandings no? If we were all experts, we wouldnt need to post here would we?
Ive had another look - Plaster board ceilings, old painted plaster on walls (i think). All paper removed. Ive had a look at the walls myself and with an evening of online education, they are definitely distemper walls. Plan is to apply sandtex stabiliser, wait 4 hours then WBA to leave overnight and reskim tomorrow. See what an evening of reading can do! If you have any helpful suggestions that would be great but if you think I am still on some sinister mission, dont worry about it :confused:

It isn't your problem - it's the builders problem. I've not seen distemper on walls in decades. If it was distemper and they'd PVA'd it - that would have stabilised it. Dunno what you are up to. :confused:

Well it is my problem as my family and kids are due to be moving in next week. And as to what im upto, i have this crazy idea that if something went wrong that no-one understands at first, id try and do my best to learn about it to try and stop it happening again in the future. Crazy i know. I do appreciate the attempted advice, but from multiple plasterers well experienced in distemper, PVA will absolutely not stabilise it and will always result in blown plaster.

You don't stabilize distemper - you wash it off. Anyway, it's NOT going to be distemper in a 70s flat. Dunno who you are talking to but they are telling you complete bolex. Why would a builder that can't plaster volunteer to plaster and then phone the home owner in a panic when it goes t*ts up? :confused:

Sorry mate - been around long enough to see through dodgy posts.

Well if its not distemper, its something similar. Rubbing off like chalk on the hand. Its their plasterer who did the work but ffs, is that really important?!! Its a problem that needs sorting and I was looking for advice. There are alternatives to washing out there that seemed to have worked fine for some people. I sure you are very experienced, but all the posts about dodgy motives are a bit weird tbh! How dodgy can plastering be?! Is there some plastering conspiracy theory that Im not aware of?!

It's just a chalky contract matt emulsion. It shouldn't need all sorts of odd prepping. Anyway, you are where you are and the whole lot has to come off and be re-done. No other option at this point. You'll be chucking good money after bad if you try and stabilise what is already there. A picture or two would have been helpful.

Thanks Joe, appreciate that advice. Well have got my elbows greased today and got stuck in cleaning whatever the chalky substance was off with sugar soap. Not a pleasant job! So plasterers are coming back for second try next week - they are keen on applying artex stabiliex before - good idea? Would you need wba or pva on top of this or is that not necessary? One wall has appeared to stick though - plaster not coming off but im a bit woried about a late failure. Is that likely?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back