Plaster skim easily peeling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AFD5CBA6-F4F2-4549-98E8-79DCBAF35B44.jpeg
6B10C065-2261-4714-B03F-9B56A70F5DF0.jpeg
4E89A63E-9AA0-48C0-88CB-95F6120AC099.jpeg
I recently purchased an old flat and removed the old kitchen splashback tiles. Then above it the plaster skim layer (I believe) simply peels off and leaves a very thin layer of something behind (PVA maybe) and then the old plaster which seems in good condition.

What are my options for redoing the skim over the old plaster and what are the steps involved?

Can I simply put 9mm plasterboard over the old plaster?

Sponsored Links
whats you final purpose for the wall surface?
is that a gable wall or a party wall or similar?

you've got two options and both involve hacking off back to the rough rendered background.
the wall unit(s) should also be removed for the job.
1. after hacking off then glue 1/2" plaster board to the raw background - dont trust the existing coats of skim etc. this will make the upper surface proud.
2. make good the hacked off exposure and then skim after prepping with SBR.

I would like to paint it white. It is a roof flat, but that wall is a wall between two flats in a terrace.

With regards to the second option, is there no option to skim again after removing the skim? Or do anything that doesn't involve hacking much just so that I can paint on top of it.

no - not from what i can see.
do it properly or you will be doing it again next year or so.

Sponsored Links
So I'll need to do exactly what I did below when I removed the tiles?

for hacking off yes but you will then have to make the surface good ie skim for a paint finish.

Thanks, I decided to go for option 1 as the plaster was clearly blown.

The plaster under the window has metal mesh. Is there any chance the plaster could have structural properties or is it safe to remove it from around the window and roof panel?
A933473E-A424-4F2C-A1B7-1A807B1CC470.jpeg

use a knife to cut all inside corners before removing the plaster.
i dont understand which panels of plaster you now want to hack off - can you mark them/crayon on a pic?
leave the mesh alone after exposing it then post pic of all exposed surfaces..
theres a wood block - maybe it ties in to a rafter. maybe the mesh has some tie-in purpose too?

is the roof window tight against a parapet on the party wall?
plaster is typicly non - structural.

I am taking off all the plaster on the vertical wall. The metal mesh/lath just falls off with the plaster.

Not sure how the window is installed but hope this photo helps.

IMG_9776.jpg
IMG_9775.jpg
IMG_9777.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back