Skimming question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When skimming on top of new plasterboard, ive seen plasterers doing it in two thin layers...Why ?...What will the effect be of just putting one layer on , as long as its flat ?....Bill

Sponsored Links
Basically because it is easier to get a flatter, uniform finish with two coats.

If you are doing large areas, it is actually quicker and more productive to use two coats.

A small cupboard wall or ceiling, with no scrim to cover can be done in one coat.

The purpose of the first coat to is even up the surface, cover any minor holes ,hollows or joints, fill in around beads etc . When this goes off a bit, you can flatten it - this then gives you a nice background for your second coat.

If you try both methods (one coat v 2 coat) often enough, you will find two coat is by far the best way to go. Try doing reveals or any place that is heavy in one coat, and watch the finish sag as you try to get a finish on it .

Also one coat work tends to look worse as fat is used to fill imperfections as you trowel up, rather than another coat of good finish (ideeally a fresher mix)

You don't use any more material, as if one coating, you still have to put enough on to fill the scrims, beads etc. As a matter of fact I probably use less finish two coating than alot of lads I see trying getting away with just the one.

You can get an acceptable(but not the best) finish, but you have to work harder at it, and having a trade is about making things easier.

Sponsored Links
I've already typed it so I'll post anyway; :rolleyes:

Two thin layers is the recognised method for finish skimming & not just on new boards; the reasoning is that the first skim fills small imperfections & controls initial suction of the base & the second skim (applied almost immediately after & preferably from the same mix) will then stay workable for longer to allow a much flatter & better quality finish. It’s important when skimming large areas, if the background proves to be a real sucker & if you’re your inexperienced & need all the time you can get for that perfect finish.

On small areas & low suction, ultra flat backgrounds such as boards, however, if you’re quick, your trowel technique is very good, time is not beating you up, I wouldn’t get too hung up on it; as you said, as long as it’s flat & prefect! ;)

You don't get imperfections in plasterboard and the finish is ready primed so in my opinion you don't really need two coats. That's assuming that all the taping is perfect etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back