Urgent advice needed - wallpapering stairs 12ft length and moulding!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice, I need to complete my papering this coming weekend before carpet is fitted. Hall, stairs and landing is part complete but I am struggling with the longest length, about 12ft. From the picture I am struggling to figure out if it's best to paper the left hand wall first and then overlap in the corner with the longest length but my biggest problem is how should I approach cutting around the mouldings? This is a nightmare..... HELP

IMG_1307.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would suggest wrap the short section over the stairs onto the side wall, then do the big drop with a tiny over lap and then cut in to the corner. a plumb line approx 1 paper drop wide to the right of the drop will keep you straight.

I have found a laser really good for marking drops with a pencil line and a straight edge when there is a moulding in the way. Do the above and below sections separately do not try to wrap around the moulding you will get in a total mess.;)
I know it sounds odd to start in the middle of the side wall and go both ways but you will find it easier to use a full width drop.

Myself I would just make sure that when I got to the difficult bit I had enough to keep a reasonable L shape, wrap the long drop and cut in the bit above the stairs to match the pattern.

I have a tripod mounted self levelling one that is just a basic model and it gets used for all sort of jobs.
Some reasonable priced ones here.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/laser-levels/cat9740003#category=cat9740003&sort_by=price

Just treat the moulding the same way you would a skirting or ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back