Urgent Garden Renovation advise needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've given a contract of my garden renovation to a recommended landscaper by neighbours. He has started the work but now changing things from what we agreed at the time of quote, for e.g.

- We agreed that he'll build a small retaining wall of concrete blocks to separate trees from the lawn but now he's building it with slippers, he's saying they're better. Do you think they're better and are they cheaper or costs same as concrete?

- We agreed that he'll do a layer to block weeds on the new shared access block paving but I've noticed he's doing a block paving just on top the bare base, what kind of weed blocking is recommending when laying new driveway?

- We agreed that he'll do a solid base for a new 8x6 wood shed, now he's saying it's not big so he'll do either a wood base or slab based. Do you think he's right?

He's charging me £8000 for the whole garden renovation, so i'm worried about what he's doing vs what's he charging.

Thanks
Faraz

Sponsored Links
If he's not doing what you agreed then stop him now.

All the issues you've listed show that he appears to be taking the lowest cost approach rather than what you agreed.

Call a halt now rather than have a major dispute later.

You should stop works immediately if things are heading in this direction. Its always hard to know when reading posts as many posters exaggerate or only give one side but in your case it has all the worrying hall marks of a cowboy tradesman.

Is he a friend of your neighbour who recommended him or did he do work for them?

Do you have a written quote? Please post details of the quote and are the various jobs detailed eg. 'shed base' or '100mm concrete base laid on 100mm of compacted hardcore'

In reference to the variations, sometimes near trees a sleeper wall may be better as a masonary wall will deal with absolutely zero movement caused by roots etc and the practicality of digging foundations and building near trees are often problematic.

As for the block paving you should never use a weed membrane under block paving and anyone who does so clearly has very little idea on how to lay paving. The only membrane that would ever be used on a driveway is a geotextile membrane and this would be underneath the sub base at the very bottom of the make up.

block paving for vehicle use should have minimum 150mm of compacted hardcore sub base followed by 25-40mm of compacted screeded grit sand and then the blocks. pathways not subject to vehicles should be the same but the sub base can be reduced to 100mm

Thanks for the comment guys, unfortunately he didn't the quote in detail :(

Please find enclosed the estimate for the work you wish to have carried out.

To: Take down sheds

To: Take out trees and shrubs

To: Dig out footing to extend wall and put footing in

To: Build retaining wall

To: Dig up lawn and level out area to make lawn on one level

To: Supply and lay new lawn using Medallion turf

To: Supply and fit new gate

To: Remove all rubbish

For the sum of £4200.00

To: Dig out shared drive area and level with a hardcore and scalpings base

To: Supply and fit drain gulleys

To: Supply and lay membrane over drive

To: Supply and lay block paving drive

To: Remove all rubbish

For the sum of £2800.00

Sponsored Links
Without more details it's not possible to give you an idea of value for money (promise me this isn't a cash job!) but .......

If the work isn't be done in the manner agreed and to an acceptable standard then stop the work now.

As there's a significant amount of waste being generated (and as an easy check for professionalism) ask to see his waste carrier's license.

I understand, thanks for the help though. I've spoken to him and at least he's agreeing that he'll do things the way i want it. Let's see.
When it come to waste, he's been taking it away in his truck, all the wood and trees he's been burning in my garden.

Quick question: I'll be putting 8x6 shed, do you think concrete base is a must or i can go with slab or wooden base?

I'll ask him about doing membrane, sub-base and grit and then block paving but he has already done the blocks on the edges.

This is what i sent him in reply to his quote via email:

Cut one big tree
Remove all small-medium bushes/plants/trees apart from the 4 trees at the rear
Level tree brick wall/retaining wall
Fill rear section of garden to get whole garden at one level, securing the lower section of fence
Re-turf whole garden
Fit rear fence with concrete post and gravel board (3 panels)
Remove both shades
Fit new shade at the back of garage
Fill small driveway holes with crazy paving, and make tiny barriers around ventilators holes to stop water going in
Remove front garden plants (very small bedding area)
Fill small patio hole with crazy paving
Remove patio fence (very small)
Slabs for pathway
New garage side door
Fix side access door
Remove all rubbish

Thanks,
Faraz

I wouldnt be too bothered about a slab base as opposed to soild concrete but i'd like to see them laid on mortar rather than just plonked on sand or similar.

If he has said the driveway will be dug out and scalpings (hardcore)1 installed then thats fine. The mention of a membrane is worrying. As i said earlier no one with any knowledge of paving should be using any kind of membrane other than geotextiles under sub base.

The sub base needs to be at least 150mm thick if there is vehicle traffic or parking on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back