Urgent help needed for best fixings for this job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals.

I am installing Kick bag brackets into (at a guess I aint an expert on wall materials) medium density breize block.

the Brackets are rated to 200KG and they are designed with a pullup bar on them. So they will take a bag (40KG) and a person at the same time.

I am thinking that brieze blocks arent the best material to hold a substantial amount of weight like this? I was thinking of using some resin type substance to put in some threaded bars and bolt them onto it after? However I have no experience at all with resin. I wouldnt even know where to look?

Or is there a fixing that is suitable for this? (ie rawlbolt?)

If anyone can help that would be brilliant?

Thanks
D

ps its straight to brieze blocks no plasterboard etc and they are approx 4" - 5" deep (at a guess)

Sponsored Links
Hmm...

Rawlplug do lots of different types of fixings, but only some are recommended to be load bearing in blockwork.
Doesn't really matter if you use resin or shield or sleeve anchors, as long as their load capacity exceeds the applied load.

The applied load on the anchors isn't necessarily the 200kg load rating. To work out the applied load we need to know the distance from the bottom of the bracket to the top bolt and the distance from the wall to the bag / pull-up bar (assuming a gallows bracket type arrangement). If more than one bolt in line at the top then the applied load is evenly distributed.

Shield or sleeve anchors might work out cheaper as you will have a lot of resin left over in the cartridge if only installing a few anchors.

Looking at a Punch bag / Pull up bar combo on the net, I reckon 4 M6 RAWLOK Countersunk bolts would do the job *. (Rating is given for 7N concrete block).

* Disclaimer. If you end up on the floor with a pull up bar on your head, this is only intended as guidance ;)

If necessary, you could spread the load over a greater area by bolting your hardware to a piece of, say, 18mm plywood, and securing that to the wall using more fixings.

You will find out if it's necessary if you end up flat on your back with the thing on top of you. Then the ply comes in handy to hide the craters left in the wall when the original fixings pulled out as well.

Sponsored Links
Some good ideas here, thank you guys. I looked at a few other posts and seems a builders merchant might be a good idea, some realtime, hands on advice. Gonna nip down this week. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back