URGENT HELP REQUIRED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: :oops: :oops: Hi everyone, in need of urgent help. My 5 year old thought it would be fun playing in the HotPress, and ive just found him playing with one of the red toped manual screw valves going into the hot tank.

Hes not sure what position it was in when he started turning it.......

The pipe in question enters/exits the bottom of the Hot tank.
Another pipe enters/exits about half way up the tank and has the motorised valve for the hot water system from central heating.

these two pipes are also connected by a small diameter pipe just before they enter the tank and have a manual screw valve in the middle of it.

The electric emmersion is on the other side of the tank...

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE VALVE IN QUESTION SHOULD BE FULLY OPEN?

The heating system is only 5 years old and is unpressurised, has a warmflow boiler, Horstmann channelplusxl controller,Myson power extra valves for radiators and hot tank.

Sponsored Links
:eek: :oops: :oops: Hi everyone, in need of urgent help. My 5 year old thought it would be fun playing in the HotPress, and ive just found him playing with one of the red toped manual screw valves going into the hot tank.

Hes not sure what position it was in when he started turning it.......

The pipe in question enters/exits the bottom of the Hot tank.
Another pipe enters/exits about half way up the tank and has the motorised valve for the hot water system from central heating.

these two pipes are also connected by a small diameter pipe just before they enter the tank and have a manual screw valve in the middle of it.

The electric emmersion is on the other side of the tank...

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE VALVE IN QUESTION SHOULD BE FULLY OPEN?

The heating system is only 5 years old and is unpressurised, has a warmflow boiler, Horstmann channelplusxl controller,Myson power extra valves for radiators and hot tank.

Sounds like your cold feed supply to your cylinder and should be fully open. ;)

Sounds like a gate valve has been used to throttle back the hot water circuit from the boiler and divert more to the central heating circuit. If you shut the gate valve and then see how many turns it takes to open it fully, then turn it back half that ammount, that should be ok. If the hot water takes too long to heat up when the ch is on aswell, open the gate valve a little more to allow more flow. :)

Bamber gaspipe, thanks mate,

not sure if its the cold feed as pipe is as warm as the other one. as Central heating was on for about an hour, i think its likly to be the supply comming from/returning to the boiler.

But thanks for your super quick response

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a gate valve has been used to throttle back the hot water circuit from the boiler and divert more to the central heating circuit. If you shut the gate valve and then see how many turns it takes to open it fully, then turn it back half that ammount, that should be ok. If the hot water takes too long to heat up when the ch is on aswell, open the gate valve a little more to allow more flow. :)

Actually re-reading it sounds like the central heating bypass fitted in case of a motorised valve failure, close it down fully then open it up about a quarter of a turn.

Andy165,

thanks mate, think this is more likley to be the case than Bambers idea.........

Will try this and see.

As you mentioned, it should be ok half open?

If the tank is not as hot as usuall, should i open it slightly more (1/4 turn) or close slightly more.

Many thanks.....(your a real gent).............

Cheers Bamber...........

Expert advice from both of you.....

Can now send the lad to bed safely, and get a lock fitted to door prompish..........

Thanks again

Once you have found which one it is and set it finally, you could remove the red head and keep somewhere safe, so little fingers can't move it again. I usually do this on any valve used for balancing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back