URGENT! Please help - advice needed on external insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some builders at my house right now, fitting external wall insulation with a company that does the green deal.

They are fitting a system that uses shelves to hold sheets of polystyrene which are drilled into the wall with a 5 point system. The whole will then be rendered.

I am concerned because they are fitting the polystyrene boards BELOW the damp proof course on the house (but above the vents). Everything that I have read suggests that this is likely to lead to problems with rising damp.

I can't get hold of the project manager. I have tried to speak to the lead of the crew, and he assures me that (and I quote) 'Water cannot go uphill, so there is not a problem'.

Would I be right to demand that they stop work?

Sponsored Links
you could always make them cut a few inches of the bottom of the slabs, if they turn out to be too low.

How far above ground level are they?

There will be installation instructions on the maker's website. Possibly Knauf, or Kingspan - will probably be printed on the boards. They are obliged to follow the installation instructions.

I don't know what these shelves are.

I got in touch with the system manufacturer, SPS, who have been brilliant. They confirmed that this type of insulation is absolutely NOT intended to go below the DPC.

For anyone else with any external wall insulation problems, I seriously recommend this as a course of action - SPS know their stuff and sorted the problem straight away.

The contractors are going to have to take off the metal shelves and redo the work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back