URGENT tap attachment question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a representative from our letting agent coming in an hour and a half. Our flat is a renovation job but the letting agent has taken on some of the work - including a new bathroom. We have to just do tiling. Their side of the work is running considerably behind schedule so there are a lot of issues to raise today, but one of them is the taps for the shower and bath.

The bath and shower units have been installed and bricked in, and the plasterers have laid new drywall (across the entire bathroom) that's been waterproofed around the units. We'd planned on getting to this stage, laying the tiles and then having them come back to attach the taps and shower enclose - but the work's so far behind schedule that this isn't a priority at the moment. What we'd like is the taps (and possibly enclosure) attached so that we at least have some facilities, and then to do the tiling when our schedules free up in a few weeks.

The letting agent is saying that this isn't possible, and they can't add the taps/enclosure before the tiling has been done. The tiling might be more difficult after (which we accept), but is what they're saying right? At least for the bath? Is there any reason that the taps/enclosure can't be attached directly to the waterproofed plasterboard?

Help much appreciated!! Will either give up or show him this thread later on!! :)

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, but I don't think its a good idea for taps to be secured to plasterboard alone....waterproofed or not - it just isn't strong enough to accept any leverage.
John :)

Hmm...thanks for your input! Hadn't thought about that.

All I'd considered so far was that the water might in some way damage the plasterboard (despite the waterproofing). Do the tiles really add so much strength for the taps?

Also received another reply on a different forum re: the shower enclosure. As it's a separate bath and shower, it seems that the tiles should be placed over the brackets that will hold the shower enclosure in place...so it's almost as if tiling SHOULD be the last thing. Any input on this?

Thanks!! :)

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

It is for letting out - but we're the people renting it! :) We're in Germany where the law is heavily in favour of the tenant, and have a secure open-ended lease.

It's our letting agent that are dragging their feet...

Should I push for taps and the shower enclosure straight away, giving us time to tile when we can (as they've pushed our schedule back so far that we don't have time right now)?

Thanks!

I can't think of any instance where enclosure brackets should be tiled over.....it will be a nightmare later on to adjust / replace.
Anyway....it can be done this way. Bath - in place, tiles later added to the edge(s). Shower tray - the same then the enclosure added afterwards.
Wash hand basin - tile first, then fix the basin.
It seems that your taps are to be wall mounted...presumably there's access behind the drywall?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back