US back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing multiroom audio into new build.

System requires US back boxes for keypads. Size: 56mm x 98mm x 78mm (w x h x d)

The problem i have is the depth of them. My walls are only 100mm deep.

Has anyone come across this problem?????? :( [/img]

Sponsored Links
what are your walls made of?

if its stud partitions shouldn't be too hard, otherwise might be a pita probablly just a case of going carefull and if nessacery patching up the wall from the other side afterwards.

I would have thought cavity would be easier:cool:

What make kit are you installing?? The multi zone stuff I have seen uses a 25mm standard backbox - 35mm being a luxury!

Sponsored Links
Cavity walls and only 100mm thick? Do you mean hollow concrete block? These are very inclined to spall off if you belt them with a chisel or bolster, best to assume you're going right through, drill plenty of holes in both sides to encourage the face to come off in the size you want.

What i meant was internal wall is 100mm concrete block, then 80mm cavity to 100mm external wall.

System planning on installing is Russound CA4.4iL.

This site is great, best response ever!!!!!

50p says a great lump of block will break off and fall down your cavity ;)

(unless filled)

Its partial filled cavity, 50mm insulation boards.

Thats exactly what i don't want, block falling into cavity!!!!! :cry:

Has anyone installed any multiroom systems,good recommended ones??

Are they "aircrete" type lightweight concrete blocks?

If so they are easy to saw - drill a number of holes around the perimeter, and then use a masonry saw. If you've not got many holes to make, and you don't care too much about speed and blade life you could probably get away with a padsaw or stanley+blade, or even a masonry hacksaw blade.

A jigsaw might work nicely. A metal bit will probably cut the soft concrete these blocks are made of. I think you'll just about get the 100mm depth you need.

Hope this helps.

Take a look at Clouds range of multi zone mixers. I think some have amps built in, but most require a stereo amp per zone. They also make multi zone amps to go with the multi zone mixers. The systems can be linked easily to add more zones....4, 8, 12 etc etc. All rack mount systems.

I have installed a couple, and installed the first fix for a few - They are designed more for pubs etc, but are great systems. You have a rotary know for input select, and a volume control mounted into a single 25mm box. The ones I have seen also used remote eyes fitted into a highlevel single box to allow the CD/Tuner etc remotes to be used through out the house - this is seperate to the cloud system.

JBL speakers are great aswell - especially the ceiling flush mount ones. The control range is also great, with or without the sub. I have control 25's & 28's in my house - lovelly sound and power. They come in black or white, and are paintable and IP rated - guess where two of mine are ;) They also have great invisible fixing brackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back