US laminate trimmer opinion wanted, pleeeeese

masona wrote.
Can't at the moment D&J and Kendor is still in it
Feel free kendors not talking to me at the moment. :LOL:

This all goes over my head too, but I must say ace is talking out of order here.

ace wrote,
Does poor Joe public need telling they need to pay import duty when they import something? I think you are insulting their intelligence.
Matz asked,
Any thoughts anyone? Its about $40 to ship to UK, so still dirt cheap.

Now where does matz mention about import duty there? he is only mentioning shipping(post) nothing else, therefore breezer is correct in his reply.

As an aside if an employee of mine got injured using a foreign or wrongly marked power tool would I be insured? are they CE marked? will they past bonding checks?

There are so many potential problems it may not be worth it which is what breezer is quite rightly saying.

Tell you one thing though ace you could do me a favour and go in the ring in general chat and call Tony Bliar a pr*t. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
now from what i read on this and the other thread the comments only seem to be very well informed oppinions now i am not taking sides in this discution because most off it zziipps strait over my head

This is taken from a professional electricians forum. Have a dig round there and see the sort of work they do and then tell me that it's just well informed opinion?

Breezer is wrong. He's telling people they can't use U.S. power tools off a U.K. site transformer and you can with no problems. I'm telling you that you can and I KNOW this for a fact because I've been doing this for years. I use them all day and every day. I'm not an idiot. I know they work and I know they're from the U.S.

How can people make a sound decision based on mis-information?

I'm not saying that you should do it, or ought to do it just that you can if you want to.

Why should I want to call Tony Blair a pratt?

Why should I want to call Tony Blair a pratt?

Private joke ace nothing against you mate.

However you said this,
Breezer is wrong. He's telling people they can't use U.S. power tools off a U.K. site transformer and you can with no problems. I'm telling you that you can and I KNOW this for a fact because I've been doing this for years. I use them all day and every day. I'm not an idiot. I know they work and I know they're from the U.S.

Now breezer can speak for himself, but I have not seen him say that, He only gave his advise about buying from abroad.

I also asked if they are CE marked for European use but you never replied.

interesting points here:cool: Firstly, I admit, any kind of duty extra to the purchase price and P&P never crossed my mind :oops: I would say though that it would still be miles cheaper than a UK model if it was any good despite any extra charges. The stuff about correct usage in an employed enviroment would also be important as I would use it at work and they are hot on ensuring all machines/ power tools are checked and passed annually although some of us bring in our own personal tools for company use so I don't really know how we stand with that issue.

The important thing for me is = the US model being "110V"; will it work on our works 110V yellow transformer thing???

I'm tempted to buy it anyway, use it, and post back on this thread with the result :LOL:

Finally, no, I didn't read what I should have done on this site about US tools. Tis all to easy to be lazy and post away. So, slapped wrist and all that!

Finally, finally, how on earth can anyone produce a laminate trimmer with all the trimmings so to speak that sells for under £7. I mean, unless its bankrupt stock, the ebay seller must have paid about a fiver or less :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Like one of the other posters I use American made 110v on a yellow transformer and have no problems.

I spoke to customs & excise about importing machinery and was told it was for personel use only and if I employ people they are not allowed to use them.

Even taking into account that tools are cheaper in the US, at £7 it is most likely rubbish, or should that be garbage.

To anyone that reads this still trying to decide i should like to point out the following:

it has been mentioned that what i have said is "rubbish" i still do not agree. taken from the other website mentioend

The only thing to note is that the transformers used in the UK and Ireland provide 2 X 55V lives out of phase. So, you've 110V between the two lives and 55V between either terminal and ground. This reduces the potential for electric shock.

It's really not a problem, however just be aware that your powertool could be live with 55V even when the switch is in the off position.

my post actually said

Problem.

Site transformers are centre tapped giving 55v / leg to earth

USA mains is 110v to earth

So you get:

UK

55v - 0v - 55v

USA

120v - 0v

Your electric tool is expecting 120v - 0V NOT 55v-0v-55v so it may not work.

both myself and the other website said that you get 55v-0v-55v also if you read that which i have written, not what you think i have written i said

so it may not work.

i did not say it would not work did i?

Although i know about differnt motor types, it is not fair to say that the tool you are considering has either a or b motor since without checking it / or its spec how do you know?

Many people do not know that you are liable for VAT and import duty if you bring something into this country from abroard, because as i previously mentioned you are now an importer.

People that often import things "take it for granted" that you the reader know about vat etc, I assume you havent done this before, so i point it out.

Also i never mentioned the following before. It is unlikely to have a CE mark (this just means that it is "up to standard" and CE is not actually an abreviation for anything)
Also you will have to buy yorself a site transformer (TLC have them) and that is another £50 ON top of what you have paid

In summary dear reader

please read my original post slowly and as it says

You Decide

Breezer, it's very good of you to hear your advice but why people cannot give their reason without having a go I do not know, still that's life eh?

david and julie said:
masona wrote.
Can't at the moment D&J and Kendor is still in it
Feel free kendors not talking to me at the moment. :LOL:
Lucky you, hey you haven't flatten Kendor have you? I hope not because Kendor is going to explain to me all the fantastic job Toneeeeey has done so far in the general chat or will it be ignore?:LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back