US wall lights for use in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am absolutely never going to attempt this task myself, but before I call an electrician and make a fool of myself, is it possible to have US wall lights completely rewired for safe use in the UK?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
any markings on the lights such as 110-240 or something similar as if so it should be ok to use but don't forget the yanks use different wiring colours should you be wiring them in permanently so don't just connect colours together

a make/model of the offending item would be nice as well as really any advice is a bit in the errr...well...maybe range

Sponsored Links
They look easy to do,but it would depend on the thread size used for the lamholder really, however thread adaptors are easy to get

There is a 1mm difference between US and UK ES lamps. I'm prety sure the US are smaller so the lamp may be a bit tight to screw in.

The lampholder would need to be replaced.

But really you'd be better off getting lights designed for the UK market. You may not find an identical one to that, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something you like.

You could start by printing the photo from Amazon and touting it around proper lighting shops who already sell things to your taste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back