US 110v equipment for UK use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking to get some spray equipment from the US but I need to check if there is any way to safely use it on the UK electrics.

Basically these are the electrical specs for the equipment:

Electrical Power Requirement
120 Vac, 60 Hz, 15A, 1 phase

Does anyone know of a simple conversion that would work? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's easy to convert the volts, but if it is sensitive to the supply frequency, which some things such as motors are, then it is more difficult.

Does the equipment contain a compressor? Can you provide a link to the equipment?

A friend of mine visited the UK for the first time a couple of years ago, one of her essentials was a hairdryer!!

She sought advice in the states and puchased a suitable adaptor (US Plug to UK socket) and was most surprised that the first time she dried her hair the hairdryer went "nuclear" on her!!

Strangely it survived the excess volts and she learned to "ask a friend" before using US gear in the UK and Europe!!

Sponsored Links
Also, (and especially if this is for business use where Electricity At Work Regulations will apply) it may not be compliant with UK / European safety standards, not just for electrical safety but also air pressure equipment.

In terms of cost, don't forget import duty, handling and VAT gets added to the price by UK Customs...

Graco have an UK office, they may be able to provide technical help and my be able to supply UK compatible equipment.
Interestingly, the Truecoat range of products is conspicuous by its absence from products mentioned on the UK website. I wonder what the reason may be - patents, regulations or what? Whatever, that certainly suggests that a 220-240V version may not be available.

Kind Regards, John

Graco have an UK office, they may be able to provide technical help and my be able to supply UK compatible equipment.

http://gww.graco.com/gb/en/solution/paint-spraying[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I did find that Graca make a european model of the Truecoat but they branded it Minimax. However I have read it is not as good as the US version. Also I can't source an electric one, only battery operated.

I wonder if I got a battery operated Truecoat from the US, would it be easier to recharge the batteries with just a simple converter for the charger unit?

Interestingly, the Truecoat range of products is conspicuous by its absence from products mentioned on the UK website. I wonder what the reason may be - patents, regulations or what? Whatever, that certainly suggests that a 220-240V version may not be available.

Kind Regards, John

I could'nt find any electric versions only battery operated. The price is from £600-£700. I could get the same US version for about £280, including postage. But of course I still have a problem about the electrics.

if the charger for the battery one is a switched-mode supply then it will probably adjust automatically.

If it's a transformer one it may be possible to adjust the transformer taps internally, replace the transformer, or use it with an external step-down transformer. It's unlikely to be so frequency-sensitive to have serious problems.

A site transformer does not give out the same 110 volts as used in the US. As well as 50Hz instead of 60Hz also it has a centre taped earth which means double pole MCB, Switch or fuse may be required.

Not saying it will not work but I have had quite a few problems working in a printers which was US owned and had stuff sent from US for them to use.

I have also caused 100 lighting sets to be sent off site and modified because they did not comply with UK regulations with the 110 volt sockets.

if the charger for the battery one is a switched-mode supply then it will probably adjust automatically.

If it's a transformer one it may be possible to adjust the transformer taps internally, replace the transformer, or use it with an external step-down transformer. It's unlikely to be so frequency-sensitive to have serious problems.

Thanks. I am emailing the chap in the US and he says he has dealt with UK customers and has some step down transformer selling on his website so hopefully he can advise me on what I will need.

A site transformer does not give out the same 110 volts as used in the US. As well as 50Hz instead of 60Hz also it has a centre taped earth which means double pole MCB, Switch or fuse may be required.
I would expect any plug in equipment for the US market to have double pole switching for the same reason most european equipment I've seen does - they have non-polarised plugs so either wire can be live. Of course, what I'd expect for safety isn't necessarily what the manufacturers make !
Not saying it will not work but I have had quite a few problems working in a printers which was US owned and had stuff sent from US for them to use.
Forgetting to note that it's a 110V supply before plugging in can be "quite interesting" - usually a bang followed by a wisp of smoke.
I have also caused 100 lighting sets to be sent off site and modified because they did not comply with UK regulations with the 110 volt sockets.
At my last job we bought in a machine that had been custom designed for us by one of our US colleagues. It was dire !
To start with they needed to buy something like a 10kVA (or could have been bigger) transformer as it was 220V rather than 415V, and the workshop guys also spent weeks making and fitting guards - I think they work on the basis that illegal immigrants are cheap to replace if they get in the machinery or something :rolleyes: And finally, we had the whole machine jacked up and stood on lengths of RSJ as it was giving the operators back problems leaning down to the conveyor - turns out the designer was "a bit short" and designed it to suit his stature.
Best of it was, everything could have been 415 at the design stage - every motor was inverter driven, and the heaters were 240V in delta (could have been wired in star).

Forgetting to note that it's a 110V supply before plugging in can be "quite interesting" - usually a bang followed by a wisp of smoke.

I moved a computer at work this week to check the supply and accidently moved a voltage selecter on the back to 110 volt setting.
As you say bang smoke and a burning smell.
Luckily the thing was faulty anyway but I suppose the power supplys well dead now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back