usb colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my PC case has 4 difernt colours to connect to the M/B, but the manual only has the letters. what letter is what colour?

Sponsored Links
I guess you mean for the front panel USB connectors on the case?

Are the connectors labelled in any way?

Each USB port should have 4 wires and they are generally labelled G or Gd for ground, D+ for data positive, D- for data negative and V or Vcc or 5+ for the 5 volt rail. I have seen a variety of colours used, so don't rely on any comparison.

The header on the motherboard should have nine pins, five on one side and four on the other. Now, the pinouts depend on the motherboard model. If you can post this and any labelling info, I can help further

the cable to the case is colour labeled. the M/B is letter labelled

So, can you post the motherboard model number and the case model if possible. The cases usually come with some (dubious looking) instructions showing the pinouts. The motherboard will have a manual. If you don't have either of these or the model numbers, it's gonna be tricky.

There are no standards for colours as such. Just provide as much detail as you can. Saves a lots of questions.

Sponsored Links
At a guess it's the new unified colour management rule for M/B's.

Memory Channel A = light green
Channel B = purple

Primary IDE = blue
Secondary IDE = white

USB 2.0 = yellow

Serial ATA 150 = orange

there are a few other colours as well your M/B manual should tell you what is what.

Have I missed the point of the post? The title is USB colours, so I assumed you are trying to connect the case USB connectors to a motherboard header?

To me it doesn't actually sound like it's the USB leads.

Could it be the leads for the power LED, disk activity LED, Reset button and power button? They'll be 4 leads with different colour connectors.

Each USB connector will have four wires, but unless we get more info, we'll never know.

Srodders said:
To me it doesn't actually sound like it's the USB leads.

Could it be the leads for the power LED, disk activity LED, Reset button and power button? They'll be 4 leads with different colour connectors.

no. its the colours for the USB. anyway, i found a small piece of paper with the case what had the info on

With the USB case connectors, you usually have either single pin connectors (as Andrew presumably has) or a multipin connector that just plugs onto the mobo.

The single pin connectors ensure better compatibility especially with older motherboards that may not have used the now-standard multi-pin connector. However, it makes it irritating for the 90% of people who have the standard connector!

Lian-Li cases have both (which is handy), not sure if any others do.

Sponsored Links
Back