Hi speed USB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

My pc has a side mounted USB socket. its not high speed and ive just bought an ipod which preferes a high speed USB.

is it as easy as changing my usb sockets for high speed ones ?

or should i get some sort of modulator?

whats the best way to go about getting my pc a USB socket that is high speed?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Installing a USB2 PCI card would be the easiest option. What is the spec of your pc? What operating system? Is it a laptop? - a laptop will be able to take a PCMCIA USB2 card if there is an available slot.

stand alone pc (tower)

AMD Athlon processor, running at 1.68 GHz. had a quick look inside the tower and it looks to be 'plug n play' type slots on the boards.

hope that makes sense.

Do you meean white slots about 3" long? theres no such thing as a plug & play slot ;)

Sponsored Links
Can you post a piccy of the card edge connector sockets? They're more than likely in that sort of age PC going to be mainly PCI slots and hopefully you'll have a spare but better to be sure.

pci_slot.jpg

anything like those?

eggplant,

yes, i have PCI slots, my comment re: plug and play was aimed at the whole 'being able to just plug one in without needing to install it'

im not totally computer illiterate, i have a fair understanding. like i say, i do have pci slots, i was just after an answer regarding the simplicity of either getting something that fits into pci slots or getting some sort of modulator.

ive seen a 2 port usb 2.0 that fits straight into pci slots going for 7 n half quid, shall i presume that'll do the job?

dont worry about spare places to put the thing, thats all checked out and i have space to fit one properly

cheers

ok I'm with you. XP no probs, plug it in and off you go. I would go for a 4 port though - barely any price difference and of course gives you more posrts shuold you need them.

yeh, i'll check the prices, it'll probs end up coming from cpc - i have an account there, but to be honest, its only for my ipod so i can transfers cds etc quicker.

the pc is getting a little dated now and a new one is in the pipeline so spending as little as possible is the trend atm.

just out of curiosity.....opinions on latest PCs and Laptops, in the region of £500-700?

thanx for all the replies fellas!

i managed to find one, only cost me £4.32 plus the vodka and tonic, only a 2 port mind...but as people said, it went straight in and off i go....next is a removable hard drive.......

.........hmmm why dont i just get a new computer! lol

Sponsored Links
Back