usb adapors

Sponsored Links
It sounds like BT have upgraded the OP from a wired router to a new BT Home Hub which includes wireless. Can the OP confirm this, please. If this is the case, then PC World (among others) have several USB Wireless adapters ("dongles") for sale from £20 upwards. On the base of the router there will be one or more labels which give the SSID of the router (this is the "name" that the wireless router broadcasts so the PCs, or other devices know which one to connect to) and another with the WEP, WPA or WPA-PSK password (for want of a better name). After installing the wireless dongle in your PC, and loading the supplied software, right-click on its icon in the System Tray and select View Available Wireless Networks. Click on your network SSID name. You will be prompted for the "password". Then, after a few seconds, you should have a wireless connection to your router. I run my laptop exclusively on wireless, and have no problems at all, even sending large print jobs to a networked printer. Please let us know how you get on.

It sounds like BT have upgraded the OP from a wired router to a new BT Home Hub which includes wireless..
Spot on Astra 99 & my young neice who has more IT knowledge than I ( or so I thought :D ) tells me I'll need the adaptor. Personally I would prefer to do as Xr4x4 says & simply swop it with the old hardwired router, but that is connected to an extension socket & my niece says the hub has to be connected to the main socket which is about 10 meteres from my pc. Thanks to all I will have to check if I have the various things required to complete the change.

Your niece is incorrect. It should be connected to the master socket, but if you're happy with the performance on the extension then it can be connected there.

Sponsored Links
using extensions an be a bit hit and miss, but if it works for you then use it.

I don't think in this case the security on the home plugs is really an issue.
The electricity meter acts as block on the signals that are transmitted across the network, so there is no chance of them leaking out on to the public wiring

If an outsider can access the wireless network, they also gain access to the homeplug-connected computers.

so just turn the wireless off.

Back