usb adapors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a usb adaptor for a new wireles router which will be approx 10 metres from the pc.. The internet speed on my broadband is 6.5mbps & the adators seem to be available in 150mbps or 300mbps, with the faster ones being a lot more expensive. Given my download speed is there any point in buying the faster one & are there any other aspects of the spec of them that I need to consider eg do they have different ranges, reliability etc.? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The more expensive ones tend to be shielded better so will less prone to interference such as RF.

Can you explain your setup more? Why would you want a usb connector for a wifi router?

i imagine he means to recieve from his wifi router. the more expensive ones are better for the above reason, but at that range thats not a big concern. get a mid range netgear or belkin usb adapter, but make sure if you get a netgear it works with your operating system.

If, as other replies have suggested, you are looking for a USB Wireless adapter to plug into your PC to connect it to your router, then there are any number available. There are different standards, 802.11b/g which give a maximum of 54Mbps (Megabits per second) and 802.11n which will take you up to 108Mbps. Check to see what standard(s) your router supports, and if you can get a USB dongle from the same manufacturer, that would be best. Note that the standards are backwards compatible, so the N router will allow B or G dongles to connect at B or G speeds, and conversely, an N dongle will connect to a B/G router at the lower speed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all. It's an old desk top pc running xp. Always been with BT, 56k dial up modem built in to pc, then external router for broadband, now a wireless hub which I have been told needs something to transmit to & receive from my pc. As some, I think have sussed out, & I have been told, I need a usb wireless adaptor to plug into a usb port on my tower. The ones I have looked at are 802.11n but with the different speeds as I mentioned & I wondered if I really needed the faster one given my download speed capability.Or is it not as simple as that & the speed of the adaptor effects the rate that data is transmitted between the pc & the hub & therefore the efficiency of the pc/hub?

As you have pointed out a 802.11bg would be good enough for your broadband connection.

The only time you'd want to go for .11n is

1) They operate on the 5ghz range so are less susceptible to interference from DECT equipment
2) For transferring data between machines in your house over the wireless will be fast with .11n then .11g, 300 or 600 mb (bonded) as opposed to 54mb

However 5ghz .11n range is less than that of .11g and also all devices connected to the .11n network must be .11n themselves other it will downgrade to b/g. So if you for example have a .11n usb adaptor in your pc and its connecting at .11n and then you connect your iPhone and its connecting with .11b/g then the whole network will get downgraded to .11b/g

For most people a .11g is fine, only for those wanting to send data between machines over the wifi would need to consider .11n.

Hold on a minute, what make wireless router have you got?

Also where is it going to be plugged in?

Does your pc have a network port?

If possible, the easist way is if your phone socket is a reasonable distance from your pc, plug in the wireless router as normal to the phone socket and plug in your pc to the network socket of the wireless router.

Just because it's a 'wireless' router, doesnt mean you 'have' to connect to it wirelessly.

Basically you can run a cable from your pc (as long as it has a network card) to the wifi router.

This sends the broadband to your pc via this cable and not via wireless, its a lot more stable and you will get slightly better throughput.

However this cable can be a pain if its draped over floors and into other rooms (between pc and router).

So you can buy what I linked to, you put a network cable from your pc into one of these devices and then plug it into your normal power socket
Near your router you plug another one of them in and put the cable form this to your router.

The broadband then comes to your router from the phone line, then go across your socket power circuit and to the pc via those devices.

They are very useful for people who want to get networking/broadband to another location in the house, normally where the signal of a wifi won't stretch to.

Yes the usb dongle would be a cheaper option, just make sure you can receive a good enough signal from your pc to make your 6mb broadband worth it.

What...! 10 meters is nothing for cat 5, without going into cat5e.

You can run 100 meters of network cable with no problems.

I'd rather have 10 meters of network cable than anything else.

What...! 10 meters is nothing for cat 5, without going into cat5e.

You can run 100 meters of network cable with no problems.

I'd rather have 10 meters of network cable than anything else.

He meant it's a long way to run a loose cable. Obviously as fixed wiring it's no problem at all, but running a patch lead around the house is a real pain.

as long as it has a network card.
Is this built into the motherboard or a seperate PWB?
just make sure you can receive a good enough signal from your pc to make your 6mb broadband worth it.
Can I do that before I decide which route to follow?

If you have a network port on your computer, this is the easiest route to folow.

Running cable as I said, or home plugs, as been linked to.

So it's down to price.

Sponsored Links
Back