USB to Ethernet adaptors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if i connected a USB device to my network through a "USB to Ethernet adaptor" would i have access to the device as if I had plugged it straight into the computer ?

Sponsored Links
"USB to Ethernet adaptor" converts a USB port on your computer into an ethernet port.
This is for computers without an ethernet port (and only using WiFI) to be able to connect to the internet / WAN via a hard wired ethernet cable.
You plug the USB into the USB port on a computer and you then have a Ethernet connection for an ethernet cable.

You cannot connect a USB device (eg a USB memory stick) into a "USB to Ethernet adaptor".
Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 18.19.17.png

is there any way to connect a USB device to a computer through some sort of wireless connection ?

I have some of those ethernet plugs that use the household wiring to create a network and had hoped I could somehow use those.

Many cable/fibre modem/routers have a USB port built in and also Wifi.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
As nozel suggests.
Many of the TP Link routers have a USB connection on them. You plug the router into an ethernet cabke the is on your netwrok and (after setting up router) you plug a USB flash drive into the router. You can then access Al the files on the USB memory stick or hard disk via an IP address.
Sfk

What sort of USB device?

My keyboard is USB but I wouldn't be able to connect that up in the way your suggesting.

If your suggesting a USB memory stick then yes that can be connected but it all depends upon what you have now and how much your prepared to spend.
Can I ask why you want to do this remotely and not plug it in direct?

As above, one way of doing this would be do add an old router that also has a USB port that can be shared to your exiting network, however not all routers with USB ports can be used for sharing the device plugged into it.

There was a 4 port wireless USB hub but it seems to be discontinued, however searching find things like this that will allow you to share the device if you can plug it into the network either at a network switch/hub or the router itself.

Do you have access to the router? what sort is it? tell us more about what your trying to do.

Back