Use 230mm grinder or hire concrete saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut the outer leaf of brickwork for a new door opening. This means I'd have to cut from floor level to above head height.

I've got a 230mm Makita grinder with a diamond blade that I'd need cut from both sides with to get a full cut depth. Many stories of kickback and all that jazz have given me a bit of a concern about using it as ive only ever used it on well clamped material at floor level before. It does have a dust guard fitted so cutting dust is quite low...

Would it be safer to hire a masonry saw such as the one below or is there not much in it:
https://www.hss.com/hire/p/dch300-300mm-cut-off-saw

Sponsored Links
Dunno.
But don't forget that saw linked to is 110v
You will need a transformer and possibly a class M vacuum added to the hire

If you could get the lot for around £100 -150 for a weekend it is probably worth it

I bought an evolution 305mm disc cutter for such jobs.

It’s bloody dusty, but works a charm at cutting openings.

Shop around and you might well find one for around the same price as a hire one...was a few years ago and my evo cost me 99 quid

57AA99C6-EBF3-4D20-8466-A0F0594BD6E8.jpeg

If you were to hire a saw, a petrol stihl saw would be better and connect it to a hose.

I'd use the 9" grinder, make the cuts and then snap the bricks with a bolster. Any frame will cover the cut part of the brick.

Sponsored Links
Dunno.
But don't forget that saw linked to is 110v
You will need a transformer and possibly a class M vacuum added to the hire

If you could get the lot for around £100 -150 for a weekend it is probably worth it

It's a shame no one seems to hire out the DCH300-X, that can be used with a dust extractor or a hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back