Use 40mm as outer sleeve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a 40mm copper pipe washing up waste that runs into a stack behind the wall.
The pipe moves so it must be loose at the join which inevitably will leak.

At the other end, the join to the stack, access is non existent so unless I take out the wall, which in really reluctant to do, I cannot unscrew or examine it.

If the copper pipe is 1mm then possibly I thought I could run another pipe inside. So long as it overhangs in the stack it would be fine.

But is such an idea workable in anyone's experience?

166677885471795259313695467371.jpg
16667789044407958860002454926154.jpg
below : this is the other side of the stack, 50mm nut and pipe was from bathroom waste, was corroded so I expect similar on the other pipe i cannot access which enters above this one through the wall.

Kevin

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There's a bend in it, so your idea could only work with a flexi.
Mcalpine compression fittings fit a 40mm pipe perfectly.
Ei th her cut that copper pipe near the joint to the stack, clean with wire wool and attach plastic or replace the lot which will be my preference.

Reactions: CBW
I don't understand, you say the other end, the join to the stack that access is non existent, but then there is a picture of very clear access of the joint to the stack?

Bit confused .... :unsure:

Reactions: CBW
Hi, the joint you see is the pipe from bathroom sink (deleted that pic to avoid confusion) I have repaired, the other problem one comes in from the back/wall and if further up. There is no access, I can just about feel it but cannot get anything on it / cannot replace.

With the bend I could cut the copper pipe back to get to the straight and feed a smaller waste (32mn?)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t use smaller, you could try @johnny2007 ‘s suggestion and use McAlpine universal coupling.

Ak ok, I wouldn't include it in the post then as it just causes a bit of confusion ;)

I'd never take a chance with a fitting I couldn't see or absolutely confirm that it's in the right place and flowing correctly. Can the wall further up not be opened at the level of the connection?

Can I just double check what you're saying? The pipe in the first photo, is loose, and is moving about, meaning the other end where it connects into the stack must be loose too? Then as a workaround you want to insert another smaller pip inside, so it protrudes into the stack?

Unlikely you'll even be able to insert another pipe inside the copper, secondly, the joint at the stack needs to be water and air tight or you'll have issues down the line.

Only option is to get access to the join at the stack and deal with that, replace if necessary.

Can I just double check what you're saying? The pipe in the first photo, is loose, and is moving about, meaning the other end where it connects into the stack must be loose too? Then as a workaround you want to insert another smaller pip inside, so it protrudes into the stack?

Unlikely you'll even be able to insert another pipe inside the copper, secondly, the joint at the stack needs to be water and air tight or you'll have issues down the line.

Only option is to get access to the join at the stack and deal with that, replace if necessary.
Yes that's summed it up. Solid wall, no access, pipe not tight. (makes me wonder how the hell did they build it)
I'll have to get an engineer to check the structural side of things before I start on that. What a nightmare. This is up there with my worst :-/

Do you need to keep the bent bit? Can you not just use the 40mm copper as a conduit for a smaller pipe that will bend, and can serve as a waste?

Hi,
I don't really need to keep any of it but I can only cut back to the wall. I can't see or access the entry (other end of the pipe) to the stack.
But yes, conduit (I used the word sleeve) would be ideal to house a smaller 32mm waste

Last edited:
In the pic where you showed the vertical soil pipe with the basin copper pipe and then there's a wall section higher up, that section of wall is then solid? When you say solid, what material is it? Can't you look up into that gap and see the stack higher up and the connection? Can you put the other pic back up now we know what that copper waste pipe is and maybe a pic up into the wall void showing the stack and other connection and what the internal wall is made of?

The only other option then would be to decommission that pipe and cut a new hole in the wall further down and run a new plastic waste pipe through and into the stack. That being said, as suggest you would still be left with a loose copper connection in the stack that really needs taken care of.

Hi
I'll try to get the pic up later but it seemed to be causing confusion.
The wall, it's solid, floor to ceiling. When built I assume they must have laid the drainage and built up around it. I can reach round to the back of the stack and touch the pipe that I'm having troubles with but my fingers barely fit the gap.
I either feed another pipe inside the 40mm or take down some of the wall, I can't see any other options available.
Many thanks

I was when we didn't have context, once we knew it wasn't the same pipe that was the subject of the post then it explained it (y)

Ok, so the picture you took out with the stack and the copper pipe coming out of it - that is now known not to be the washing up pipe (sink?) - is that not the same stack that the washing up (sink) pipe, in the 2 picks above, goes into?

Even then, where the pipe in the pics above, goes through the wall, all that's needed is to cut a square section around that pipe - say 100>200mm square - and take that out, as long as it isn't too large then you shouldn't need to worry about the structural integrity of the wall and that will then give you clearer access to the stack and connection.

Looks like I'll start next week with my bolster. Looking again today I'm optimistic they're breeze blocks which means easier to cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back