Use of Trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am confused over where cables should be trucking and where it is not necessary:

1. I have a brick built extension to the house with a conservatory style roof, but with its own entrance from the garden. It is heated, ventilated and waterproof. Does all the cabling within it need to be in trunking?

2. Also a cellar below the house with exposed rafters/joists. Same question - does all the cabling in it need to be in trunking?

3. External floodlights - fed from within the house with 1.5mm cable. Currently the external cable runs are just tacked to the brickwork with cable clips. One switch is internal, one is external (weatherproofed). Does the external cable need to be in trucking? Does the height of the cable from the ground make a difference?

Sponsored Links
Trunking and conduit are cable containment methods.

There use depends on cable type and aesthetics in the installed area.

In domestics trunking tends to be used for low cost cabling work where the home owner isn't happy to pay for chased in cabling with re plastering and redecorating requirements.

Trunking tends to be used where multiple cable runs are required, an example would be a CU in a basement with multiple runs to ground and 1st floor.

There use depends on cable type and aesthetics in the installed area.

More for addional mechanical protection where required.

I think this is why the OP is asking - would his locations require addional mechanical protection?

It has always been recommended to use conduit and metal clad accessories in garages attached or seperate from the house. Often cables clipped around at high level with protected drops.

Sponsored Links
1) no, it can be chased in if possible, it can be run in conduit or clip direct depending on enviroment.
2) ditto
3) no, again this can be routed in conduit or can be clipped providing cable is suitable for purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back