use petrol cut off saw indoors

H

hPUWu574

my mate reckons it would not be dangerous to use a petrol cut off saw indoors (living room) to remove a wall. reckons he's done it himself before.

i am very doubtful

anybody know for sure?

Sponsored Links
I would say very high risk.

Swot up on your first aid skills. Especially the treatment of suffocation by carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide and then stand well clear while he is working.

Inhaling the fumes will affect his concentration and reduce his ability to spot danger. The early stage of carbon monoxide poisoning can create euphoria ( as in being drunk ) but drowsiness, dizziness and lightheadedness will affect him

Using a power saw when under the influence is not safe.

Thanks - confirmed in detail what I was worrying about. I shall be renting an electric saw instead!

OP,
why do you need a saw to remove a wall?

AAMOI:
any kind of cut-off saw such as Stihl or an electric powered, or a chain saw should never be used unless you've had training and supervised practice in its use.

Cut-off saws are used indoors all the time - no drama given adequate ventilation. In a residence dust is a bigger problem than fumes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ree,

The wall is breeze block which has been cut into another brick wall quite roughly (see pic below)

I only want to remove part of the wall and figured a cut off saw would cut through where the brick and breeze block meet. Then I could just plaster over the remaining section without having to build it back up again.

I suppose I could do it with a hammer and chisel though.

If you are that worried about the petrol exhaust, use an electric one, cutting through brick inside is fun. Takes about 20 seconds and you can't see a foot in front of your face.

Last time I did something similar I just stitch drilled all the way from top to bottom and tidied it up with a cold chisel.

OP,
as you suggested, simply use a hammer and chisel. If you dont mind the dust even use an angle grinder (a 115mm grinder will work) with a masonry blade - you only need to nick the brick or block a few milli deep, and a sharp blow will split it along the cut.

Its a simple job, dont make it hard or complicated.

ree,
Thanks for the advice. A cut off saw does sound like overkill for this job, so I will do as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back