Used Bonding coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst on a job today, I followed a sparky colleague who recently left me a couple of 'back to brickwork'/wide chases. I used Bonding on these, which also cracked on drying, I guess because of the amount of bonding used. Did I do right using bonding?

Sponsored Links
Whilst on a job today, I followed a sparky colleague who recently left me a couple of 'back to brickwork'/wide chases. I used Bonding on these, which also cracked on drying, I guess because of the amount of bonding used. Did I do right using bonding?

Sounds like suction - I'm guessing you didn't apply diluted PVA to the chase first and let dry to tacky?
Bonding should be ok, just it prefers low suction background. The PVA would have reduced the suction significantly and stopped the cracking.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, yes I did PVA first, unless the PVA was too weak a mix! But the chases were very deep as well as quite wide. As TM says I could've used hardwall. I'll try that next time....still learning :)

Thanks guys, yes I did PVA first, unless the PVA was too weak a mix! But the chases were very deep as well as quite wide. As TM says I could've used hardwall. I'll try that next time....still learning :)

I don't know how you coated it out Mike, but sometimes,, if as you said, it's very deep/wide,, don't bring it out in one coat. Wet/pva the chase, then half fill it,, scratch it, then leave it to steady up for a good while,,, then fill/bring it out flush, cleaning the wall off around the edges of the chase, with a wet brush/sponge,,, always makes the job look good. ;)

Sorry for the late post!! Thanks for that RC, I did only gradually fill the chase, maybe I was rushing it and filling it too quickly though....On a slightly different note, one of the walls was quite large, so I experimented by dividing the wall with a stop bead, must say it worked pretty well, but I did need to work on the 'join' a fair bit to smooth it out flush, but I guess once it is emulsioned then it will look ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back