Used Bonding Instead Of Sand And Cement In Kitchen !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellow guys and girls

I stripped the plaster on my kitchen and took it back to brick

I then used a thick layer of thistle bonding to make it fairly smooth and consistent and then used multi finish on top. We also painted it from top to bottom

3 months later and the paint is coming off and the walls are damp!!!!!!

In hindsight we should have used sand and cement over the bricks rather then bonding.

My question is what can be done at this stage - It was a silly mistake and one which I will pay for no doubt

I was thinking i could apply a damp proof paint over the existing paint and then paint on top of that

I am hoping I do not need to rip it all off because the kitchen cabinets are all in place now

Any advice most welcome

Sponsored Links
It could be that you painted too soon, was there signs of damp before you plastered?

Hi -

No we left it to dry for a while and then painted - under the sink here is black mould growing which I know is a sign of condensation

We put a mositure meter on there tonight and it feels and the mosidture meter confirmed it was damp. Apparently the wall is sucking mositure from the kitchen into the wall.

I am wondering if I can use a zinnser waterproof paint on there like this

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/watertite/

That would be a lot more preferable to having to rip out all the bonding !!!!!

Is hardwall meant to be used as a base coat over bricks - We should have used sand and cement in hindsight I know

Sponsored Links
tell us how you keep this room ventilated.

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house, or over radiators?

I don't suppose it's a cavity wall.

edited
Why didn't you like your previous thread?

//www.diynot.com/forums/plaste...hen-advised-to-remove.352142/#2647446[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply

We do not keep wet washing in the house but even if we did I think this is quite normal. In my old house we used to have a lot of humidity in the kitchen and we never had any damp.

I am convinced (maybe wrongly) that the walls should not have been bonded but should have been hardwall'd and this is what is contributing to the mould and the paint flaking away and the fact is that the walls still feel damp even now when I put my hand on them

There are no cracks / holes on the exterior walls and I have had a builder round who claimed that the walls are sucking moisture from the kitchen. That makes sense but means that the walls need to be waterproof

Anyway I would appreciate some help - I can post pictures if that helps but what do people think of the zinnssser watertite product and can this be applied over paint?

And the wall is not a cavity wall - It is a double brick wall which is about 70 years old

cooking, showers and wet washing release water vapour into the air

condensation occurs when water vapour reaches a cold surface

you have said this is a solid uninsulated wall. I don't know how it compares with your other walls, but if it was freshly plastered it will have been damper, and more conductive, than a dry wall. If other building work was going on it may also have been colder.

The space behind the kitchen cabinets will be especially cold because heat from the room will not reach it.

Kitchens are often quite humid, and sometimes have water leaks which makes them wetter.

Ventilating the kitchen generally will reduce the humidity

Ventilating the space behind the kitchen cabinets will make that space less humid. Even a couple of holes or an airbrick will do it. Cold outdoor air holds less water vapour than warm indoor air. It will however make the space colder as well as drier, and may cause draughts. The cold will be helpful if you have food stored in the cupboards such as vegetables and bread.

Paint will not stop condensation and mould.

The plaster used will not be the cause of condensation.

If it reassures you at all OP, using sand and cement would probably have not improved the condensation situation much either, so don't beat yourself up about it.
I guess it may be a bit more resistant to mould forming (compared to a gypsum plaster - bonding, hardwall), but it wouldn't have prevented it.

If it reassures you at all OP, using sand and cement would probably have not improved the condensation situation much either, so don't beat yourself up about it.
I guess it may be a bit more resistant to mould forming (compared to a gypsum plaster - bonding, hardwall), but it wouldn't have prevented it.

Thanks - That's somewhat reassuring

Would the zinnsser water tite on top of the existing paint be any use? Can I use damp seal from wickes on top of the paint?

I have never been a "fan" of trying to seal damp with paint and don't believe you are curing a problem but just delaying it..So I would bite the bullet and re-do the lot properly. Everything else to me is "false economy" I couldn't live with a job that I knew was not done right in the first place..But at the end of the day it is your choice and we are only giving you the benefit of our experience.. ;)

the Zinsser paint that you lined appears to be intended for tanking or preventing efflorescence; i.e. to prevent water emerging through the wall from the far side.

In your case the problem appears to be condensation, not penetrating damp, so an impervious internal coating will not help.

as it's solid it's going to be very cold and thats why condensation is forming on it. Hardwall wont help you any more than bonding, imo the wall should have been studded infront of with insulation added and p/board over then skimmed.

johns right hardwall is no good with moisture also, bg states not to use it in areas that are prone to moisture, saying that i know people who have it in their kitchen and bathrooms with no probs at all, if i was in your position i would dry the walls out and then paint with an oil based eggshell to protect the bonding take a look at this link , it says good resistance to condensation , i have used oil based b4 its good stuff http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...l-based-/649?gclid=CMyjtZy8gbUCFW7HtAod5kEAJA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back