Used car prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a new car our Audi is a bit long in the tooth and starting to show its age and the bodywork is now tatty.

Looking at replacing it like for like but used car prices seem to be astronomical.for what is 6/7 year old cars.

Even a Mondeo is 16-17k for a 2016 models.

I've got my heart set on a Jag xf petrol 2015 or newer, I've been looking for some time and they just don't seem to be selling yet the prices aren't going lower, some of the cars have been for sale since January but most have been for sale for around 3-4 months.

I've looked at other brands like vauxhall, ford, vw etc etc but they're all around the same price for the same year.

Are car dealers still trying to hang on to the belief that buyers will still pay a kings ransom for a car?

Sponsored Links
I've been very pleased with my 435d convertible that is around that sort of money used. There aren't many 300HP+ cars that can manage 45+mpg.

Have you tried the big supermarkets? Big Motoring World can't be too far from you.

Are car dealers still trying to hang on to the belief that buyers will still pay a kings ransom for a car?

Trouble is, people still are paying crazy prices for used cars. Going on the wbac valuations, the Audi that Mrs Motties sister let us have nearly two years ago for the then wbac valuation of £12865 (which was better than the p/x price she was offered) is currently valued at £15125. It had been valued up to over £17k at one point and even my mums old 2012 Fiesta that she sold to a customer of mine over two years ago for the wbac valuation of £5k was valued at £7k only last week when I serviced it! I’d hate to be looking to buy a car at this time. You’d be better off hanging on to your car for the foreseeable future. We’re going to do a car swap with our diesel Golf for our daughter in laws petrol Picasso if that Khant mayor gets his way next August and expands the ULEZ to London boroughs.

I think we had some years where prices were inordinately low, which has set an expectation for those of us with long enough memories :)

* 2007 I bought a Volvo S60 that was about 2.5 years old with 70k on the clock, for £5500
* 2015 I bought a 5 year old Audi A4 estate with 180k for £3000
* 2020 I bought a 7.5 year old Galaxy with 190k for £4500

I thought the Galaxy was expensive for the age/mileage, particularly compared to the Volvo, but I can't really get a 7 year old one for any less than double, maybe triple, what I paid for mine. Looking at it with the modern perspective, the Volvo was insanely cheap for what it was.. and thinking on it, my earlier life was filled with cars that were peanuts compared to other countries. A friend visiting from Australia couldn't believe I'd paid 500 quid for a ten year old Camry, when the equivalent junker back home was 6 times the price..

Should have ponied up 12k for an M5 estate when I first started looking in 2013; they're 25 now, and they're ten years older

Sponsored Links
My two cars have a combined age of 59 years & still serve us well because they are looked after, even a slight ding gets attended to by a semi-retired guy who can perfectly match paint without the need to re-spray a whole panel.
Modern cars are nothing but computers on wheels, totally lacking in character & designed as disposable items :(

I've been very pleased with my 435d convertible that is around that sort of money used. There aren't many 300HP+ cars that can manage 45+mpg.

Have you tried the big supermarkets? Big Motoring World can't be too far from you.
Yeah I'm looking at one there, it's been up for a while (they've had it since April) and is the cheapest around, it's not quite the spec I'm looking for but I'm willing to compromise.

I've looked at the 4 series but unfortunately I need a family car, so it's the 3/5 series or the Jag. I don't like mercs, and I'm bored of Audi's don't like vw, seat, can't bring myself to own a Skoda (sorry badge snobbery). I'm not a fan of ford or vauxhall, and certainly wouldn't pay the prices being asked for them at present, Toyota and Honda etc are just plain boring and then leaves me with the Koreans, which imo are being charged at big money but are boring like the Japs.

I'm just amazed that used cars can sit for so long unsold and dealers are still thinking there worth a fortune.

My two cars have a combined age of 59 years & still serve us well because they are looked after, even a slight ding gets attended to by a semi-retired guy who can perfectly match paint without the need to re-spray a whole panel.
Modern cars are nothing but computers on wheels, totally lacking in character & designed as disposable items :(

Tbh I wish I'd kept my early 90's jap imports, sold them to buy a house though.

Bought the Audi thinking it be a good investment it's been ok, but not the most Stellar of cars for reliability, mostly suspension components. We've kept it as best we can, and it's treated like a queen tbh, we've got an awful lot of service history with the car and it's wanted for nothing. We're getting one of the wings replaced in a couple weeks as it's rotted through (common on the b7 shape a4) but the other side isn't far behind requiring replacement, and as I do most of my own maintenance I've seen underneath and it'll be a couple more years thwn will need welding most likely, but the floors are filled.with ECU's and stuff, and I'm not really too sentimental towards it unlike the Toyota chaser i owned previously.

Trouble is, people still are paying crazy prices for used cars. Going on the wbac valuations, the Audi that Mrs Motties sister let us have nearly two years ago for the then wbac valuation of £12865 (which was better than the p/x price she was offered) is currently valued at £15125. It had been valued up to over £17k at one point and even my mums old 2012 Fiesta that she sold to a customer of mine over two years ago for the wbac valuation of £5k was valued at £7k only last week when I serviced it! I’d hate to be looking to buy a car at this time. You’d be better off hanging on to your car for the foreseeable future. We’re going to do a car swap with our diesel Golf for our daughter in laws petrol Picasso if that Khant mayor gets his way next August and expands the ULEZ to London boroughs.

I've been waiting for a couple of years now but kept putting it off cos if life, then the prices went bat crazy, so thought I'd wait a bit longer, but now mortgage rates are going up it's made things a bit more urgent.

Last Xmas I locked in for 5 years on my mortgage, which as it turns out was a right result. I've got 4 years left now and I'm thinking it's probably best to get a car now and have it paid off by the time the mortgage is up for renewal so we arent tight financially when I've got to renew the deal and my mortgage goes up by £400 per month. As we couldn't do the mortgage increase and purchase a car at the same time.

The car is 17 years old now, I don't think I'd get another 8-10 years out of it.

I bought my 2001 Peugeot 406 for £800 a few years ago. They go for about £1200-£1500 for the same spec/mileage with some even fetching £3-4k. When it dies, I'll be after a replacement because they're so reliable. They have a bit of a following and that pushes the price up, too.

Similar non-sense from me...
In December 18, I bought a (Don't judge me! ;) ) 2017 Citroen C3 with 16k on the clock for £8999.
Now, 4 years later, with 43K, a trawl of autotrader brings up similar spec/condition cars for £8999 - huh???? :unsure:

How long is long in tooth? Mine is 04. Apart from the car maker trying to recall it, it hasn't any problems. I am not selling it or let it recalled for any price and so don't know the price. I have random people on street or going pass my drive way asking if I want to sell.

Last edited:
They'll be waiting for inflation to catch up. If they keep it for a year it'll be 10% cheaper. Best bet is to scour eBay for a private seller who paid £15k for a car 3 years ago and logically (but mistakenly) thinks it's now worth £12k. As a nation, and other than house prices, we're not used to massive inflation and chip shortages.

Bought a replacement car in May '21 for £11K5 - by end of July '21 the dealer rang me up and offered me £12k5 for it with a big discount on a newer model - would have taken him up on it except the replacement wasn't an Estate car.

My attitude to car purchase is to buy a cared-for premium model, (at least 15 yrs. old) & continue to look after it. With both of us retired our annual mileage is low & fuel costs are something we accept in return for comfort. For the past 57 years the majority of my cars have been 6 cyl. powered, with a sprinkling of V8's, so anything with a consumption north of 20 mpg is a bonus :rolleyes:

Last edited:
How long is long in tooth? Mine is 04. Apart from the car maker trying to recall it, it hasn't any problems. I am not selling it or let it recalled for any price and so don't know the price. I have random people on street or going pass my drive way asking if I want to sell.
Presumably seduced by the contents of the sump being everlasting. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back