Used car prices

Sponsored Links
How long is long in tooth? Mine is 04. Apart from the car maker trying to recall it, it hasn't any problems. I am not selling it or let it recalled for any price and so don't know the price. I have random people on street or going pass my drive way asking if I want to sell.
It's a 56, and its low mileage for age 104k

It still drives really nice, unfortunately it seems Audi skimped on this gen A4 and it's not aswell built bodywork wise as the previous b6 or later b8.

It's fairly common for the b7 model to be rot boxes unfortunately

My attitude to car purchase is to buy something that was a premium model in its' day & look after it. With both of us retired our annual mileage is low & fuel costs are something we accept in return for comfort. For the past 57 years the majority of my cars have been 6 cyl. powered, with a sprinkling of V8's, so anything with a consumption of 20+ mpg is a bonus :rolleyes:

Yeah that's why we bought our current car 11 years ago, we've looked after it but there is only so much one can do.

Yeah that's why we bought our current car 11 years ago, we've looked after it but there is only so much one can do.
How very true, my old Range Rover has £600 worth of anti-corrosion treatment every 5 years, regular servicing despite low annual mileage & paintwork when needed. The car is now 35 years old, not bad for a model universally considered to be a rot-box ;)

Sponsored Links
How come my 2 cars perfectly maintained with no faults and low mileage are the only ones not gone up in price???

How come my 2 cars perfectly maintained with no faults and low mileage are the only ones not gone up in price???
Supply & demand probably. ULEZ compatibility is also important to buyers in areas afflicted by such regulations.

How long is long in tooth? Mine is 04. Apart from the car maker trying to recall it, it hasn't any problems. I am not selling it or let it recalled for any price and so don't know the price. I have random people on street or going pass my drive way asking if I want to sell.

Same year here, but mine is tucked away safely in my garage, except when I have reason to use it, and I have no good reason to want to swap it.

ULEZ compatibility is also important to buyers in areas afflicted by such regulations.
My diesel Evoque that I sold just after I bought the A3 at the wbac price has gone down £400. The bloke who purchased it lives just outside the current ULEZ but will be in it if Khant gets his way.

What cars do you have and what area do you live in?

My diesel Evoque that I sold just after I bought the A3 at the wbac price has gone down £400. The bloke who purchased it lives just outside the current ULEZ but will be in it if Khant gets his way.

'87 Range Rover Vouge & '98 BMW E39 523i
CM2 Essex

'87 Range Rover Vouge & '98 BMW E39 523i
CM2 Essex
Age, I suppose. When cars get to a certain age, unless they are a collectors item, their value bottoms out. I only know how certain cars have performed because I specifically checked them for one reason or another before the pandemic and subsequent chip shortage hit. Did you know what they were before the pandemic?

Age, I suppose. When cars get to a certain age, unless they are a collectors item, their value bottoms out. I only know how certain cars have performed because I specifically checked them for one reason or another before the pandemic and subsequent chip shortage hit. Did you know what they were before the pandemic?
I don't think the pandemic had any effect on either of them though I admit to not checking the figures. I've had the RR for 14 years & watched it appreciate in value due to its' original condition, the BM has been under-valued for years though probably now at the bottom of its' price curve.

A6 le mans 3.0L 2008 and Passat B5 1.8T 1998.
60k and 105k miles respectively.
I'm in west london, within the proposed Khant expansion.
I hope he goes to hell and burns for eternity.

A6 le mans 3.0L 2008 and Passat B5 1.8T 1998.
60k and 105k miles respectively.
I'm in west london, within the proposed Khant expansion.
I hope he goes to hell and burns for eternity.
My a4 hasn't gone up either.

It seems cars from 2010ish are the ones that have increased in value...

Yeah I'm looking at one there, it's been up for a while (they've had it since April) and is the cheapest around, it's not quite the spec I'm looking for but I'm willing to compromise.

I've looked at the 4 series but unfortunately I need a family car, so it's the 3/5 series or the Jag. I don't like mercs, and I'm bored of Audi's don't like vw, seat, can't bring myself to own a Skoda (sorry badge snobbery). I'm not a fan of ford or vauxhall, and certainly wouldn't pay the prices being asked for them at present, Toyota and Honda etc are just plain boring and then leaves me with the Koreans, which imo are being charged at big money but are boring like the Japs.

I'm just amazed that used cars can sit for so long unsold and dealers are still thinking there worth a fortune.
Yes - its at best a 2+2 and the coupe has lower head room than the convertible. Plenty of 3 series and touring/estates going with that engine. Even the non-twin turbo 330d is petrol quick. The one series (my gf has one) is also a great car for families. 9/10 we take her 116d, which has. 2l Diesel engine and can manage 60mpg easy.

In my view a recent golden era for diesels is those from 1998-2002. The Peugeot 406, the VW Passats, etc. Their value is going up because they are recognised (now that sufficient time has passed) as solid, reliable workhorses.

I bought my 406 for £800 three years ago but have since been offered £1500. When it goes I'll get another!

Sponsored Links
Back