Used Double Glazing units?

Whats actually wrong with secondhand upvc windows? If the windows are the correct size and the glazing is intact why is there a problem?

Genuine question.
If they're the same size, profile, external treatment, weathering, internal colour, hardware and spacer bar, and you can get them apart without marking given that the plastic has aged and stiffened, and get them back together without having to spend ages renewing the right profile of bubble gasket because it's gone all hard and manky, and you can still come up having saved money after all the messing around then great..

Or if you don't mind it looking a right frankenbodge..

Or you haven't actually built the house yet and you're prepared to resize all the windows to what is available secondhand..

I'm sure it has its place; if a 5m wide 2.3m high bifolding doorset came up for a grand and I was looking to fill a 5.5m x 2.4m hole, I'd reshape/make the hole in my house to fit it.. But a few pvc windows..

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it has its place; if a 5m wide 2.3m high bifolding doorset came up for a grand and I was looking to fill a 5.5m x 2.4m hole, I'd reshape/make the hole in my house to fit it.. But a few pvc windows..
A long, long time ago I used to do some work for a landlord who was forever going to auctions and bringing back all sort of odds and sods to fit into his houses. I absolutely hated dealing with him as did every other tradesman in the area (I even remember him having a ruck with a floorer who refused to fit two dissimilar roll ends in a bedroom), because everything was a "frankenbodge" with the guy and he never wanted to pay for the extra time and materials required to get his "bargains" installed. He never once supplied a door, door casing or window that was the right size and all his houses had a "distinctive" appearance. I still hate dealing with this sort of thing some 40 years later

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a landlord of probably 80 terraced houses, as you say everything is make do and mend and he uses eastern european labour and its usually tenants paying off their arrears and their work is shoddy at best, laminate floors nailed down, paint that looks like it was applied with a broom, kitchen units that look like they've just been placed there and left, tiles that if water ever ran down them would never reach the worktops but would collect somewhere. I do the odd DGU for him and lock changes, handles and hinges and they're the only decent bits of work he has done lol, to be fair to him he's a fair guy and always tries to do the best but often gets it all wrong or his tenants trash the house and just leave or in some cases have sub let them to others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back