Used old smelly paint by accident - should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just used some old white emulsion that was under the stairs (possibly form a few years back) it was watery on top but otherwise looked fine and was okay once stirred.

Anyway, used it just to touch up a few spots/areas in the bedroom and after finishing I just realised there was a rather gross sweaty smell. After sniffying the walls realised its the paint.

From a little googling it appears the paint must has gone bad and the smell is from the bacteria. It was only on the walls maybe for about 10-15 mins when I realised this so I quickly tried washing it off (although was in a bit of a rush though as i was doing this before work) with some soapy water and then wiped over quickly with a bit of anti baterial spray too. I think I removed most of it although looks like a minor film of paint remains.

Should I be worried, especially as its the bed room? I should add that I only touched up some scuffed marks here and there and then just one larger area, but that area was no larger than the size of a saucer/small plate. Am I overly worrying?

Sponsored Links
No, you shouldn't be worried. There are far more alarming things in the world to worry about, like your energy bills and whether your children are eating rubbish. Or why the washing machine eats your socks.

Just cover the wall with new paint and it will be fine. I think you will have killed any remaining bacteria and they were probably the sort that don't like being out in the fresh air anyway.

Okay thanks, I do have a tendancy to overly worry about this sort of thing :LOL:

Before repainting with fresh paint of course, would giving the walls a wipe down with wam water (with a bit of bleach in it) enure any remaining smell/bacteria is gone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back