used X400 and X800 but still no joy to get 2 rads going

Yeh BG said it could be blocked at the manifold which would be under the wooden floor upstairs, also said there could be 2 manifolds so if the floor had to come up it then gets really messy and expensive.

If it was tricking through the pipe then surely some of the rad would be getting hot too and not just the pipe on just the left hand side of both rads ?

Sponsored Links
The pipe has minimal heat loss so will feel warm.

That slight flow is the key to potentially being able to unblock it.

Without that, I would not offer a no-fix no-fee !

Tony

In my experience there tends to be more tight bends at the manifolds & blocked solid at these bends.
HTH

Can we just have a quick recap save me reading it all again, Is it a pressurised system??? If so I would close both valves on one of the rads and remove the rad, Than pressurise as high as you dare,

Then open one valve, use a bucket or similar to catch any water or preferably connect a hose and run to a drain,

If pressure drops quickly then flush it through until it runs clear.
Then do the same on the other side,

If this identifies the blocked side then I would connect a hose to that side run to a drain and leave it pressurised over night with the valve open, and see if pressure drops over night, if it does then repeat as often as needed until it runs freely,

If its still blocked you are going to have to take the floor up and start cutting out the offending pipework

Sponsored Links
Jumbo you seem to have done most of what might be required to effect a cure.

Bear in mind hot water enters the radiator, same quantity leaves it to return to the boiler to be reheated. That radiator will require a designated amount of water flow- reduce the flow and you end up with situation that is experienced by you.

If you have plastic pipe, good chance it is blocked if the debris that came out of it was like fine tea leaves.

Take the radiator off. Chances are you will have a sealed system, if so get the pressure nearing 3 bar. Open one valve and observe flow from the valve. Close this, raise the pressure to same mark you did previously and do the same to other valve- flow from this should be same. Of the two that has reduced flow form the valve indicates blockage on that line.

On a badly fouled system a week of treatment with X800 is correct, but a word of caution- you need to carry out more flushes with clean water else worms from the can you have opened could result in other issues due to remnants of X800 in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back