Uses for a remote switch controller 12/24V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I am aware that it could be a strange request but I really need your help .

I am looking for practical uses for a remote switch controller - 12 / 24 V in ‘diy world’.Can you give me some ideas of where to apply it ? Absolutely anything you can think of - home,garage,car,workshop etc., please? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The switch is controlled by 2ch key chain remote and this is the main spec of the device:

Super heterodyne receiver
Power supply 10 -40 VDC or 13,5 - 29 VAC
Two relay output NO/NC handling 60VA (128VAC/1A)
Output relay’s time-lapse mode (between 0,5s and 4 hours)
Anti-sabotage protection
Operating temperature range: -20 to +40ºC

Cheers

Darek

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you for your contribution and time spent reading this post.

Anything else you could think of ?

DAF trucks, and German mini buses had a 12 volt run and 24v run using a relay which charged and used a pair of 12 volt batteries in parallel until the start button was pressed and then they were is series.

Grove cranes also had 12 volt run and 24 volt start but in that case the alternator had a three phase transformer built in and batteries stayed in series with both a 12 and 24 volt output from alternator.

Canal boats use bow thrusters which are other end of boat to main engine and batteries so to save using very heavy cables an inverter is used to lift the voltage and a battery is fitted on the bow.

It is not clear what you mean by a "switch controller" is the a switched mode converter 12 to 24 or is it a radio controlled switch? I could not see a radio controlled switch needing 29VA but may be.

With radio controlled switches then we had considered many times making a remote control for the narrow boat so one man could take it through the locks. However what we were worried about was EMC causing a malfunction. I have seen many remotes which work on the 70 cm band but with Radio Hams sharing the band with primary use where they can transmit using 400W it could completely wipe out coms.

How one could ever guard against even being swamped by a signal never mind sabotage I do not know.

At 12/24 volt one thinks of vehicles and to remotely start the Eberspächer in the boat while in warmth of the car would be an advantage or in car from house.

But I have already had problems using radio for anti-theft devices. Got stuck outside a repeater for an hour before people stopped using it for long enough for me to drive out of it's range.

I am wary of radio remote control. However my sister uses a motor mover to remotely drive her caravan into the drive. As long as there is a fail safe so flat batteries or interference to not cause a danger or expense then great.

Controlling a petrol lawn mover from inside the house may sound fun but it could so easy be a new plot for a one foot in the grave episode.

Controlling a petrol lawn mover from inside the house may sound fun but it could so easy be a new plot for a one foot in the grave episode.
The plot could include the neighbour with a controller who "borrows" the mower without leaving his house.

I share your concerns about wireless being used when wires can be used.

Far too often wireless in the lazy mans way to install a system. It irritates me when people, like sales people on commission and disreputable installers looking for the quick high profit instal say that the wireless system is proofed against interference. It may not react to inputs from transmitters who's identity is not registered onto the system but it may not hear one of it's registered transmitters ( sensors etc ) if there is a jamming signal present from, for example, a sensor on a nearby system.

With radio controlled switches then we had considered many times making a remote control for the narrow boat so one man could take it through the locks.
One man can, and frequently did when narrow boats were commercial vehicles not leisure ones.

I've done it. It's slower than having 2 people but it can be done.

It is not clear what you mean by a "switch controller" is the a switched mode converter 12 to 24 or is it a radio controlled switch? I could not see a radio controlled switch needing 29VA but may be.

I mean the radio controlled switch.

To all of you !!!

Thank you so much for all your help, I knew your knowledge and creativity would not disappoint.If you come across any other application please let me know, there are never too many.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back