USG sheetrock / corner tape / filling compound etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've had a quick search / browse so hopefully I'm not duplicating too many previous questions. I'm pretty new to any DIY that requires knowledge of / removal / selection / purchasing / prepping plasterboard but am hoping to do a bathroom project which I know will involve installing plasterboard and boxing in areas including using board to take paint and board to take tiles which will be wet often (shower). See this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uojdQhJ-FNw

On the surface this seems quite impressive / attractive.

Am I right in thinking this is being marketed at the casual DIYer as an option which involves no plastering whatsoever? Other than simple application of their own 'mud' with simple tools at corners / tapered board joints.

Quite attractive even if I have to redo it 10 times at first before I get it right. Anyone got any feedback on these products? I think I've heard plasterers say the finish is generally much poorer than a fully skimmed wall.

Are these products worth a try?

This brand in particular seem to be american and available through a uk distributor. Seems similar stuff is available in our big diy shops but as individual products where the user has to decide what products to mix and match which is confusing to a newbie. At least USG seem to be a 'one stop shop' of complementary products to work together. Right?

Apologies. too many questions.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
"sheetrock" and "mud" are American terms.

Have you seen it over here?

Hi, Yep american products and terms. Not seen them in the shops here but seen their marketing on youtube and there seems to be a UK/europe distributor:

http://www.sheetrockdirect.com/

Just interested if anyone thinks these products or their B&Q equivalents (if available) are a viable option to an amateur DIYer who wants to replace old plasterboard / boxing / cornering and get it ready for paint / tiling without nailing in metal corner bead and harassing a plasterer to come and finish / skim all the prepared surfaces.

May be a stupid Q. Apols if so.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back