Bathroom boarding, what method to choose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right... i have to decide how i am going to board and tile, a bathroom and a ensuite in my house... there seems to be so many products available now i just cant decide. One source tells me to 'tank' the entire room, other sources say use waterproof boards and just 'tank' the corners and pipes.

There are waterproof boards such as marmox and weddi and then 'just' mostuire resistent plaster board... theres also that plastic covering you can attach to the walls then tape joints and pipes...

Is there a far out winner in this many horse race!

Sponsored Links
I am doing my bathroom at the moment and after looking at numerous posts in this very helpful site have decided to go with:

Aquapanel around the shower/bath area which is tanked with BAL WP1 and outside of the main wet area tile onto plasterboard sealed first with BAL Bond SBR.
The floor is WBP 18mm plywood sealed with BAL bond SBR also.

Only use Moisture Resistant PB in bath/shower rooms; use water proof tile backer board in wet areas (behind baths & inside shower cubicles); if you use plasterboard in these areas, tank & tape it or it’s unlikely to last; you don’t need to tank the entire room unless it’s a wet room; use a quality trade flexible adhesive & grout not chepo DIY stuff; tile directly onto the boards; only use primer in accordance with the adhesive manufacturers instructions; never use PVA; use cement powder adhesive if the tiles are large/heavy; if your tiling the floor make sure it’s suitably rigid & correctly prepared.

outside of the main wet area tile onto plasterboard sealed first with BAL Bond SBR.
Can I ask why are you priming raw PB before tiling? Why ar you using BAL Bond SBR?

The floor is WBP 18mm plywood sealed with BAL bond SBR also.
Just to be clear; it’s the back & sides that should be sealed, not the tile surface.

Ooops! Meant to say I'm tiling direct to the plasterboard.

Is the floor not supposed to be sealed then? Good job I haven't started it!

Sponsored Links
Ooops! Meant to say I'm tiling direct to the plasterboard.
OK.
Is the floor not supposed to be sealed then?
Sealing the back & sides is to prevent any chance of moisture ingress which could cause the ply to warp & crack your tiles. It’s not usual to seal the tiled surface when using a cement powder adhesive; always follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Good job I haven't started it!
Indeed.

No not at all. I can see from your posts what your up to, just make sure you check everything out first before jumping in & you’ll be fine.

thx richard could you recommend a trade flexible adhesive & tape? wheres best to buy

thx richard could you recommend a trade flexible adhesive & tape? wheres best to buy
Sorry tape should have read grout :rolleyes: I use BAL but there are others; Granfix & I believe B&Q are selling Mapei.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back