Using a 2-stroke saw in a cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So... I've decided this year's DIY project will be converting our damp cellar into a man-cave/cinema room. I've done lots of research and I'm reasonably happy with my plan (drainage channels, dimpled membranes, sump etc).

My first job is digging out 10-15cm channel around the perimeter in the concrete floor, into which I'll be installing the drainage channels (leading to the sump).

My plan is to use one of these http://www.hss.com/g/7116/350mm-Portable-Cut-Off-Saw.html to run two parralel cuts and then either a an electric breaker or a bar to clear out the material from the middle (depending if I can get all the way through the slab or not).

Two questions....

1 - Is that the best way to dig out my channel or is there a better way?
2 - Am I OK to use this 2-stroke saw in the cellar? There's all the usual warnings of not using it in a confined space but I cant seem to find an electric equivalent

Sponsored Links
Could do it with a 9" grinder and diamond blade, albeit slower. Or sds drill, by drilling lots of holes. Or better still combine the 2 methods.

Sponsored Links
Nah - he'll be dead from carbon monoxide poisoning long before he's been exposed to enough dust to get silicosis.

Why not contract out the cutting part of the job, just do the breaking up and digging out. Look for diamond drillers/cutters in your area.

Why not contract out the cutting part of the job, just do the breaking up and digging out. Look for diamond drillers/cutters in your area.
That had crossed my mind... is it likely to be expensive?

There's probably about 23 linear meters in total

A 9 inch grinder will be no use as it will only cut about 60mm deep. You could try an arbourtech saw if you can find one to hire as they are electric and much less dust.

Cutting inside is horrible and you will have to do it in lots of 2/3 minute stints and you can't see after cutting for a couple of mins.

I don't envy you.

find yourself a fireman`s BA mask- connect it to an air compressor :idea: that`s the setup I`ve got from when I sprayed 2 pack iso cyanite ( sp?) paint

I just love that video where the user has no dust mask or ear defenders.

He must be expendable.

A 9 inch grinder will be no use as it will only cut about 60mm deep.

60mm should be deep enough, the rest will break out easily enough, can't be much more than 100mm for a domestic floor.

trying to break a hole in concrete that is still attached on all sides is a nightmare and so mcuh more difficult.

If you can 'release' it on one or more sides by cutting right through it, the whole process will be massively quicker.

A stihl saw is also much safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back