Using A Shower Pump For Basin Mixer Taps As Well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm planning to install a new mixer shower and basin with mixer taps in the bathroom.

The Hot Water Pressure isn't brilliant so I was planning to use a shower pump on a new (independant) output from the HW tank.

Is it possible to use the output from the pump to feed the mixer for the basin as well as the shower? Would I need to have NRV's on the feeds to the tap? (or the shower? or both?)

Thanks for any advice this forum is awesome!

Chris.

(PS- My Boiler is in a Glow-Worm Space-Saver, Downstairs
PPS- HW Tank is a 'Hercal Coil Indirect Cylinder, 117litre, upstairs
PPPS- There are 2 plastic storage tanks in the loft (a big one and a smaller one))

Sponsored Links
Yes it'll be ok. Single-sided flow may heat the pump's other side but for a basinful it should be OK.
Yes NRV's in the hot and cold to the basin mixer, to prevent backflow probs.
Of course if the old lady's in the shower and you come and wash your hands she'll probably shriek. Mine hasn't shrieked for years. :eek:

Thanks for the advice - cheers.

I've been giving it a little more thought - is it possible to pump the HW supply to the whole house? (It would be feeding the a tap and shower upstairs and two HW taps downstairs).

Would you need a specialized pump for this (or a special flange to take off from the HW tank?)

I'm sure there are plenty of obvious reasons why this is a ridiculous idea (I'm not a plumber!) but if it is somehow possible then I'd like to learn what's involved.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
yeahdisk said:
Would you need a specialized pump for this...
Not special, but if you're going to be drawing hot water from one outlet at a given moment, then the pump will need a higher output flow rate.

However, if the flow rate from one of the outlets is too low to be detected by the flow switch, then you would a "negative head" pump, which includes a pressure vessel that creates sufficient flow regardless of outlet orifice.

...(or a special flange to take off from the HW tank?)
No. I would always recommend and use an Essex flange for any pump.

I'm sure there are plenty of obvious reasons why this is a ridiculous idea (I'm not a plumber!) but if it is somehow possible then I'd like to learn what's involved.
Can you think of one obvious reason?

That would be my answer too, but with the right pump it won't be a problem.
And remember - you won't be the first person to have done it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back