Using an existing mortice deadlock key for a new lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cant remember what the correct word is, but is it possible to have a 3 or 5 lever mortice deadlock made to an existing key (to avoid having multiple keys)?

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a new mortice lock and throw away all but one of the keys supplied with it?

I'm not following you.

I'm trying to use the same key for multiple locks which I understand can be done when ordering a lock from independent locksmiths, but I want to use the key across two properties to save having a bunch of multiple keys and walking around like a janitor.

Yes.

It's called "order lock suited to existing key"

They either open your old locks to read the levers fitted to it, and fit new levers of the same combination to the new one, or identify the levers by decoding your existing key.

The locks will need to be the same make, and a model which is either the same, or compatible.

p.s.
You may find it cheaper to order two new locks, suited to the same key, and discard your old one.

Be aware that anyone else with a key to one of the locks will also be able to open any of the others. If you want independent keys, and a master key, it can be done using warded locks (which are very insecure but sometimes found on old hotel rooms) or Detainer locks, such as the Chubb design now branded Union, which are quite expensive, or it can be done with Cylinder locks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's a Master system as used on Chubb or Butters detainers, each individual lock has its own key which lifts the detainers to a position where the lock will open, and the detainers have additional notches or slots to suit the Master key at a different height, and each lock has these Master notches at the same height, as well as its own notches to fit its own key. The 3G110 is an example. As these locks are complex and expensive, they are not widely used on domestic homes and do not meet the latest BS. However Insurance companies may accept them as suitable if notified in advance (mine did). You will often see this range on High Street bank branches that still have wooden doors. If you get one, don't lose the key because it is unusually difficult to pick.

This method doesn't work with ordinary lever locks, which work differently and have a gate rather than slots or notches.

With cylinders having pins, instead of a single pin in each position, which has only one break at the height the key will lift it, there are two (or more) shorter pins, so there are two (or more) heights at which the cylinder will turn.

There have been many ingenious designs and inventions, so there is a chance you will come across some other method, but I don't know of any on the market.

Last edited:
ok thx. I think I'm just going to focus on the Chubb 5 and 3 lever mortice locks that were purchased ages ago for some £30-£40 each. So it is possible to have a lock made if I send them the key?

Provided that the supplier you choose offers that service. I don't think Chubb have made 3 lever locks for at least 50 years. 3 lever locks are used on bathrooms.

There may be a locksmith local to you. They used to have a sign in the windows "Chubb Super Centre", but the branding has been changed to Union. Assa Abloy own it now. Or a MLA member.

A place that is just a retailer will not do it.

Last edited:
take your existing lock and key to a decent locksmith and they should be able to reset another lock to your key or your existing lock to match the new lock and key

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back