Using Autobox After 12 Years?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vauxhall Carlton has been laid up in a dry garage for 12 years without being started. Someone told me the automatic gearbox won't be any good now as it needs the fluid pumped around it to keep the clutches in good condition.

Will the box be no good if was to start using the car again?

Sponsored Links
I’d certainly give it a go, I can’t see what there is to lose.....but an oil and filter change for the box certainly wouldn’t do any harm.
John :)

I’d certainly give it a go, I can’t see what there is to lose.....but an oil and filter change for the box certainly wouldn’t do any harm.

Thanks John. How would I go about an oil and filter change? It's an old box, don't know what they used on early 80s Carltons, maybe Borg Warner? It's 3 speed. Presumably I remove the cover from the bottom of box? How would I reseal it - are gaskets available or just used gasket sealer? Suppose the filters are still available?

I’ve not had too much experience with auto boxes, but generally the sump is a rectangular shape with no drain plug so removing a multitude of bolts gives you access and an arm full of oil :eek:
Generally a fibre gasket is used, they often survive and the filters tend to be washable.
The filters may live in the sump or more commonly bolted into the box.
There will also be some magnets to look out for which gather any metallic dust so look out for them.
A popular lubricant for these is Dextron 3 but obviously worth checking.
If access is good, there’s nothing to be particularly concerned about, but not a job for a windy day!

Sponsored Links
Maybe run it for a while (half an hour) in neutral to get clutch packs properly wetted again.

Don't put it in drive at all until fluids had a chance to get well around the box and up to temp.

I've seen motorcycle clutches that have bonded together due to been stood, hopefully not the case for yours.

Back