Using combi or condensing boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have heard multiple different answers to this question, and really need a straight answer...
I searched this in the forums but I only found old results, and I've needed to ask this incase the regs have changed again..

I have a combi boiler in good working condition, but I need to move it for part of my new extension.

am I forced to buy a completely new condensing boiler? or can I re-install my working combi. (this will be installed by an engineer)

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have any qualms in moving it if it still had service left in it.
I can't think of any regulation saying you can't move an old boiler into a new extension.

Sponsored Links
well, thanks to both of you for the swift responses.

However it will be going in the new part as that's the only space I have.

The boiler is only 2-3 years old and in perfect working condition. It seems stupid and ridiculous to me that im now forced to spend £600 on a boiler I won't need, not to mention i will probably have to change the boiler within the next few years.

so why not do it now? well, after you've spent £20 000 on an extension you look at what you need and what you don;t need.

Seriously, it's completely stupid. same for cars... why charge £200 for an older car that actually has the same emissions as a newer car?
even if the emissions were worse, within the next 10 years, all the older cars would be phased out over time.. yet another un-needed tax.

Good job we don;t live in India. they've never heard of emissions. and not forgetting Africa, they have open fires all day everyday.

Ok, enough of my rant.. but I could go on!!

Thank you kindly for you help..
It may have been the right answer, but i wish it had been a different one!

Come on OP! Spill the beans. Don't keep the make and model of your boiler a secret any longer.

I must admit that I'm having a good chuckle at the OP's Pointless rant. :LOL:

My missus did this recently. Flew off the handle assuming I hadn't done something when I had.

I was still wrong though.

Women! Universal constants :LOL:

'Er Indoors is just the same.

Once the honeymoon period's over, they turn into the mother in law. :(

Ahh, ok.. I got the boiler of my sister so i know the boiler is working excellently if that's a word?

Anyways.. as for spilling the beans...yes.. hmm.. I got it from my sister who had recently moved into a new house. the previous owners told her it was only about 3 years old, obviously i never have been able to confirm this, but it does look like it has been looked after, and it definitely works.

the model name is slightly rubbed off, but I can make out... Gloworm 30 C I.

although that could be 30 CL
after a quick search on Google, I'm pretty sure this is the slightly older "normal combi" type boiler, am I correct?

Oh, PS I calmed down now after my rant, (Sorry about that) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back