Combi or Condensing Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm thinking of having a new boiler installed and was wondering if I have to have a condensing boiler or can I still have a standard combi installed? I've been told different things by different people. The confusing thing is, if it has to be a condenser, why are combi's still on sale everywhere?

Thanks

Peadee

Sponsored Links
Condensing boilers are just high efficiency boilers. You get condensing combis or just a normal condensing boiler.

since 2005, any new boiler installation has to be a condensating boiler (HE), the installer has to notify it to gassafe and they sent out a certificate and the local bco are informed and everything is legal and you won't get any problems if you wish to sell your house.
if you fit a non condencer, (cheaper to buy) the installer will probably want cash, he won't be able to notify it, ( cos its illegal) so you won't get a certificate and the bco won't be informed, so if you want to sell your house you will have to say the boiler was fitted pre 2005, and won't be a good selling point,
your choise.

Sponsored Links
Latest Version of Building Regulation Part L1 states "A" Rated Condensing Boilers Only!! a non-condensing boiler is now not allowed ;)

To sum up - a boiler can be a combination, condensing, both, or neither.

All new boilers have to be condensing by law. It can be a combi, or not, as you wish.

It is not illegal to fit a non condensing boiler it has not been law since 2005 that every boiler must be condensing.

1.There are excemptions still allowed with the points system

2. If a new build house was granted planning permission before april 2005 then if a non condensor was in spec it was still allowed after 2005.

There is another new build figure that allows it as a whole house energy loss figure but is usually far too expensive to achieve

Not enough to justify how many are still on sale though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back