using domestic cctv to monitor vehicle movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house along with my neighbours (100 plus) use only one road. If one of the houses installed a cctv camera covering the road junction to record vehicles in and out.Would it avoid any legal restriction.
The type of camera I had in mind would be self maintaining (have its own hard drive) and only referred to by police if an incident occurred.

Sponsored Links
just do it.

It's a lot harder to prevent it once it's done.

There are plenty of the same sort of question on the web if you search for them.

ISTR Lots of the law relating to CCTV does not apply to a domestic camera.
Check it out but I'm pretty sure that if your monitoring your own property then nowt can be done about it, if it oversee's elsewhere then as well as who can tell, there is little that can be done about it except ask you to angle it away.

People may whinge, even try to invoke the human rights act etc but it does not apply, DPA is also very grey on domestic too.

Sponsored Links
A recent burglery of a neighbour frustrated me as a Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator. And found wanting info on time/ID of visits to the area by strangers.
At least the police could examine my hard disk for possible suspects

There are plenty of the same sort of question on the web if you search for them.

ISTR Lots of the law relating to CCTV does not apply to a domestic camera.
Check it out but I'm pretty sure that if your monitoring your own property then nowt can be done about it, if it oversee's elsewhere then as well as who can tell, there is little that can be done about it except ask you to angle it away.

People may whinge, even try to invoke the human rights act etc but it does not apply, DPA is also very grey on domestic too.

DPA doesn't apply but Laws on Harrassment do.
If it's overlooking the street. no probs. If however, it looks straight in neighbours bedroom, then you may be asked (forced) to reposition.

Your own 'home camera' looking at your driveway and also covering part of the road outside will be ok, but directly recording all movement on the public highway, I don't think so.

Give the DPA a ring and ask the same question, you will not get the correct definitive answer here

08456 306060

I'd suggest "not" giving the DPA a ring.

If you ask the question and you get a no, then your in more trouble for doing it than if you did not :D

Put the camera up, just ensure that where/how it's sited can be adjusted to your own property at a later date if you get in trouble over it.

Your own 'home camera' looking at your driveway and also covering part of the road outside will be ok, but directly recording all movement on the public highway, I don't think so.

Give the DPA a ring and ask the same question, you will not get the correct definitive answer here

08456 306060
Don't bother asking DPA - non committal answer given that will only confuse.
As for camera directly recording all movement on highway being wrong. Not quite true either.
PTZ negates that argument.

Thanks mattie
I have now purchased a Sentient recorder along with a swann bulldog cam. from Maplin.
I'm sure there are better models about. But I couldn't rely on the U.K. sun for Solar Power and the shops in my area for these products are limited. Internet info on this subject still left me unsure. Thanks again for your help.I'm now endeavouring to poke the wire through the eaves of my roof and finding it in the attic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back