Using Economy 7 (storage heater) circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've got an en suite bathroom which contains Dimplex storage heater (rated for bathroom usage - i.e. drip/waterproof) running from a dedicated 16A Econ7 circuit. We're looking at getting some work done in the bathroom in the New Yr and no longer want a relatively bulky storage heater in there. Would it be possible to use the same circuit to run say a 400W towel rail or even underfloor heating? Yes, realise this would only then be on when the Econ7 service dictates but that's no different to now! Thanks in anticipation of someone being able to help.

Sponsored Links
The whole point of a storage heater is it stores the heat overnight when it's cheap and releases it slowly during the day. There is nothing technically stopping you putting a direct heater on an economy 7 circuit but it probablly won't provide heat when you want it.

how close are the two consumer units together? are there any spare ways in the main CU?

Hi plugwash - thanks for the response.

You're right of course - all I was thinking was that by running towel rail on the Econ7 we would get cheaper heating through the night so ensuite would be reasonably warm in morning when getting up. Of course I realise that would towel rail would soon be cool down when the Econ7 switches off.

The Econ7 and standard CU's are side by side in garage though there are no spare circuits on the latter. I presume you were thinking that same cable could then be used but connected to standard circuit?

Unsurprisingly there are no ring main sockets in the ensuite. I guess other option is to spur from a socket in the bedroom next to the ensuite ensuring the switch (20A DP?) is still outside the bathroom of course!

Sponsored Links
have a look at a modern slim storage heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back