Bathroom underfloor heating instead of storage heater? (economy 7 content)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a village with no gas, and have no vehicle access to the back of the house to get oil delivered, so we are essentially stuck with electric heating + woodburner.

I'm about to start renovating the bathroom, which currently has a storage heater in, on its own circuit off an economy 7 consumer unit. My understanding of how storage heaters work is "tin box full of masonry with a heater in". It occurred to me that underfloor heating is essentially the same thing, and that it might be possible to install that instead, with the added benefits of not having a big ugly storage heater on the wall and a nice warm floor.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does it sound like a reasonable/silly idea in principle? Would it be possible to put it on the existing circuit and run on economy 7? If so would it be legal for me to install myself? I read somewhere that underfloor heating on an existing circuit would be "minor works" but in the bathroom would require certification.

Any help/views/opinions welcome!

Sponsored Links
What is under the floor in question? If it's ground-floor concrete you will need a significant layer of insulation to get near the efficiency of the storage heater - as the masonry in the storage heater is radiating it all back out into your room, but the under floor will conduct half of it into the ground.

It's ground floor, in a converted outbuilding so there will be concreted underneath but I guess not very deep. I understand that if this is to be an effective solution it will require a considerable amount of insulation.

Sponsored Links
Stick with the storage heater and buy a thick fluffy rug.

A nice rug thrown over it would indeed solve the problem of having a big unsightly grey box on the wall. Won't it set on fire in the middle of the night though?

You think I suggested throwing the rug over the heater? You are beyond help.

Last edited:
I suppose I can take it off the heater before I go to bed. That way I can stand on it while I brush my teeth. Win/win

We live in a village with no gas, and have no vehicle access to the back of the house to get oil delivered, so we are essentially stuck with electric heating + woodburner.

I suppose you do know that they don't have to drive the tanker into the garden, they just have a very long pipe?

I suppose you do know that they don't have to drive the tanker into the garden, they just have a very long pipe?

Yes, but it would need to go in the front door and all the way through my house. I live in a mid terrace house with a park behind.

Anyway! I take it nobody thinks my underfloor heating idea's a winner then!? :cry:
Ultimately it's personal preference! I doubt it's going to save you any money, possibly cost you very slightly more, but the feeling of walking around on a heated floor is psychologically very comforting and warming and might be better for you regardless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back