Bathroom underfloor heating instead of storage heater? (economy 7 content)

Ultimately it's personal preference! I doubt it's going to save you any money, possibly cost you very slightly more, but the feeling of walking around on a heated floor is psychologically very comforting and warming and might be better for you regardless.
I'm not actually convinced that the floor would even feel warm to the feet for much of the day (particularly in the evenings) if it were only heated by E7 during the night. UFH is not really an effective way of heating a room at the best of times, but expecting its effects to still be noticeable, say, 15 hours after it was last heated seems to me to be exceedingly wishful thinking.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not actually convinced that the floor would even feel warm to the feet for much of the day (particularly in the evenings) if it were only heated by E7 during the night. UFH is not really an effective way of heating a room at the best of times, but expecting its effects to still be noticeable, say, 15 hours after it was last heated seems to me to be exceedingly wishful thinking.

Kind Regards, John
Fair point, I had disregarded the Eco7 on the equation for that exact reason. Was assuming it would be run morning and evening as per normal UFH.

Fair point, I had disregarded the Eco7 on the equation for that exact reason. Was assuming it would be run morning and evening as per normal UFH.
If, which I very much doubt, it were possible to have enough UFH to effectively heat a room (without the floor becoming too hot to stand on), rather than the 'usual' aim of just making the floor warm, the cost of running it on daytime E7 electricity (which is even more expensive than 'standard rate' electricity) would, I imagine, be unpleasantly high.

Kind Regards, John

"Unpleasantly" surely depends on what values you have?

We had a flyer through the door today from Fischer, assuring us that it is a no brainer to get rid of our gas boiler and have electric heating instead, as that would use "less energy".

Clearly their values do not include the cost of electric energy vs gas.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back