storage heater question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a 30 year old flat off a pensioner which has economy 7. The meter, right enough, has a reading for normal and offpeak. How do the two storage heaters know when to kick in to store heat? - there are only two dials on the storage heaters, one for room temperature and one for number of hours charged. There is no timer.

what I am wanting to understand is if I have a new dishwasher/washer dryer with a delay timer can i set these to go on the economy 7 tariff? Are storage heaters on a different circuit or something? If I set the dishwasher to go at 3am will it automatically go on the low part of the meter. Or does it need to be put on a special circuit? Or will it just go on the normal meter. I don't want that.

I guess what would be best is if the whole property switches to the economy 7 circuit at whatever time that is - say 12:30am Then anything which runs at that time is economy 7.

any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There should be a teleswitch at the intake position.

It is a rectangular unit wired into the supply which switches over at preset times to low rate electricity. The storage heaters switch on automatically when this timeswitch kicks in, heating up overnight. The input control on the heater controls how much heat is stored.

The output control conversely controls how quickly heat is allowed to escape during the day.

If you are on E7, all the circuits in the flat will be on cheap rate after 12:30 (assuming that is your changeover time).

Be aware that some areas go back to high rate after 2 hours and then back to cheap 2 hours after that, generally a 22:30 changeover though.

Not all installations have a separate teleswitch, newer meters can have it built in so it is not always obvious

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back