Using Expanding Foam to Bed Shower Tray?

it`s in the translation :LOL: ........a brob of moltar .......means a blob of Gripfill (or similar).....Confuscious he say sometimes only the foolish can see sense ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Confucious said, " once there are 3 wise men wanna buy a table, one would buy the cheapest, the other would choose the biggest, the last one would want extra put on ----an extra leg."
I'm in the process of fitting a Stone Resin Shower Tray which has 5 adjustable legs

Oh blimey - it's all coming out now: domed bolt heads? :confused: :eek:

Such a thing will have a minimal contact patch with the floor, so I would want to reinforce the floor surface. I'd even consider an off the wall idea like those feet you place under sofa castors to spread the load and avoid dents in the carpet.

Either the feet will support the tray or they won't. I get the impression that you've fabricated the side supports and that they're not in the instructions - I wouldn't do this because you have no idea what stresses you'll be creating within the tray. I believe the feet to be there for a reason.

However, balancing common sense against having utter trust in the instructions, I don't see any way that mortar under a foot is a good thing - for one thing the weight of the tray will tend to squish the mortar before it sets, and any remaining mortar will be subject to cracking under the weight from the tray and its occupant.

One last thing - I don't believe that the front valence is supposed to touch the floor and provide support, so you shouldn't let it.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your advice Softus, however I can confirm that the "valence" does indeed touch the floor and is a structural part of the tray, the domed feet are I think supposed to sink through the mortar and are there to not only provide a simple method of leveling up the tray but would also hold the level untill the Mortar sets, they would of course prevent the tray sinking and pushing out the Mortar beyond that which is required to allow the tray to sit level, anyway I think i've probably gone as far with this as I can on the forum, suffice it to say that its been very usefull discussing it with you all as its given me the opertunity to think around the problem which was whats required, and Im now fairly confident that I will now be able to get on with it, once again many thanks to you all,
Steve.

Come on yer little tease give us some pics...i'm fascinated to see the tray and it's legs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back