Using Fernox heavy duty restorer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced the motorized valve, hot water cylinder, and programmer on our CH/HW system at home. Have refilled the system and have hot water and heating - so far so good. Before I use inhibitor I want to use Fernox heavy duty resorer to clean the system out as it is fairly old and the boiler (Gloworm Fuelsaver F) seems noisey, kettling etc. Radiators are on microbore pipes - open vent system.
I have a few questions...

1. Is this the best stuff to use?
2. Are there any possible negative side effects using this restorer?
3. How much do I need to drain out of the system before putting restorer in the expansion tank - Enough to empty tank and then how much more?
4. How long do you leave in the system - Fernox site says one week is this normally enough?
5. Do I need to refill and drain the system a few times after use before final fill and inhibitor?
6. Any other thoughts?

Thanks, James. :)

Sponsored Links
If its kettling then this won't do anything for you. You need something that will shift the scale. Something like Fernox DS-40 or Kamco Jetflush. Make sure u wear goggles as these are acid cleaners, albeit food grade. You should aim to leave it circulating very hot for a good 8 hours to have any effect.

Installing a magnaclean is also a good idea during the cleaning process.

On their site blurb it says it will remove scale and prevent noise - but not heavy duty enough though??

Fernox website said:
Product Description

Restorer - Heavy Duty Universal Cleanser is a quick and effective neutral cleanser for central heating systems. It is designed to remove all debris, sludge and scale from existing systems of all ages. In this way, it will restore heating efficiency and eliminate or reduce boiler noise. It has also been designed for pre-commission cleansing new installations in accordance with BS7593:1992, removing flux residues and other debris, thereby helping extend the life of a system.

Sponsored Links
Also I was a bit concerned by this part on the DS40 description

Fernox website said:
DS-40 is only recommended for whole system cleansing where the system is known to be sound. If there has been a history of leaks, or weaknesses are suspected, usually on older installations, Fernox Heavy Duty Restorer (Superfloc) should be used.

It is an older system but I am unsure how old, it had a tag on the pipes in the cylinder cupboard say in was inhibited in 1991. I have not had any leaks but if there are any weak spots would DS40 show them up causing leaks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back