Central heating restorer draining

kdp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I intend to clean my central heating out by back flushing each radiator one by one with mains water using the filling loop on my combi boiler then add 1 bottle Fernox heavy duty restorer and refill the water. I will then leave for a week and flush again same as before. finally I will refill using 2 bottles of Fernox F1.

My concern is that I cannot drain most of the downstairs radiators because there does not seem to be a drainage point anywhere except below the boiler on the flow pipe. Would back flushing all the radiators one at a time be sufficiant enough to remove 100% of the central heating restorer before I refill and apply the F1 liquid ?

Is it better not to bother using the restorer and just refill with the F1?

Does anyone have advice ?

The system water flows well and all the radiators get hot enough, this is just regular maintenance. I am also adding a Boiler Buddy on the return to the boiler.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Seems like a lot of unneccessary work to me. I would advise fitting a Magnaclean (instead of Boiler Spuddy) then put either the Adey Detox chemical or Sentinel X400. Both break down hamrlessly over time, and the worst of the crud will be caught in the Magnaclean.

If everything is working why waste time doing what you were planning?

Thanks for the reply Dan.

I didn't explain that in the past the diverter valve leaked because of dirty water. The system was cleaned at the time but I have had to top it up occasionally over the years. My in-laws boiler has just had the same problem which prompted me to carry out this preventative maintenance.

unfortunately i've purchased all the items i've mentioned off ebay so theres no chance of a refund, hence I will be using them rather than have them hanging around the garage.

This leads to the question is it better not to use the Fernox heavy duty restorer and use Adey Detox chemical/Sentinel X400 - would they be compatible with the Fernox F1 ?

At this point i'm inclined to stick to the original plan but do loads of back flushing to get as much of the Fernox restorer out as possible. I assume a small residual amount wont matter - Does anyone agree with this ?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

I am unsure of the Fernox cleansers' operation now as we were not imrpessed with its performance some years ago - perhaps it has improved with the recent rebranding.

Likewise their Boiler Buddy- I have one sitting in my office - it cracked, I was not impressed. However, I have an Adey Magnaclean on my own system and nearly every boiler we have installed for the last two years. It kicks a7se. Only three of the supplied servicing valve shave leaked on us which is academic as we always fit extra Pegalr servicing valves.

Before Adey Detox, we used X400 as it was strong enough to clean but not too aggressive. Since Adey (Magnaclean) released their Detox we have not looked back. It is very strong, but degrades after 4 weeks and does not need neutralising.

I have said before on here, never buy anything from eBay unless you are 100% sure of what it is and that it is what you need.

My point of view is not changed by the fact htat you already have these products, and I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong them - other than that I have used all of them; andI know what I trust; and what i consider inferior.

You are more than welcome to carry on with your plans, and I doubt naything horrid would happen; other than you doing work unnecessarily.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Ive done the work described above and thought it may be usefull to others if I make this last post.

After flushing, leaving the system restorer in for 9 days and final flushing. I installed the Boiler buddy. I was dissapointed to find that the copper pipe I cut was still coated with black on the inside - I expected it to be cleaner! Next time Ill try a power flush.

Anyway I went ahead and installed the Boiler Buddy which seems to have picked up some initial sludge but the condition has stayed the same now for almost 2 weeks.

I agree with Dan that the Magnaclean is a better device to fit. On the long run it would be easier to clean - its like unscrewing a jamjar. The valve at the top makes it very easy to add system protector.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back