Using Floor adhesive on Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP please ........ :(

Is it wrong to use floor adhesive (2 part flexigrip) on the walls. I have very heavy and large tiles.

What are the dangers - if any ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if the adhesive youre using is anything other than white then....no! dont bother.

Oh no.... The tiler has already put them up with floor adhesive - (2 part flexi rapid dry) and the adhesive is cement coloured. He used it because the adhesive I provided (Butech) was not holding the tiles. The tile size is 70 x 35 they are monsters but look beautiful. Unfortunately the finished job is far from beautiful ....

Shona

aha the problem with tile weights ..lol , what type of tile an weight ?should say on box ..

how good is the substrate , backing where the tile is on ,plaster , tile backing board , plywood ...?

Shona
as an old bathroom fitter /tiler ...
what product was the adhesive ?,cement based is ok but some manufacteurs of adhesive only recommend ,
so many laid with the weight of tiles now ,
if your tiler has bish boshed a whole wall an they have slipped ,

he should have told you he could only tile say three rows at a time ,
an worked this in with a day rate price with you ?

I always used BAL Adhesive an Grout
an their fixing instructions too substrate an the weight of tiles etc is a must for a beautiful finish ..
til I here more it may be the bad substrate , as some tile backer board cannot take these big heavy tiles

Guys

Thank you all for replying to my problem. It seems as though I have opened a can of worms. All I know is that the plaster board used is like grey cardboard on one side, white plaster on the inside and buff cover on the other side. No brand name on the plaster. Is this the wrong stuff to use ?

Tim

The tiles are up now - they look stunning because the product (Porcelanosa tiles "Sahara Marfil) are beautiful. It's clear that the tiler who put them on has rushed the job and to make matters worse taken upon himself to use the product he felt would "help things along" and not the product I was advised to use. According to him Porcelanosa sold me the wrong stuff ....

Thanks for replying - really appreciate it, this is great for future reference.

By the way have you come across an aluminium trim deeper than 1 cm deep. This is to use on top of the tiles (almost like a dado rail) ?
Thanks.

Shona
the norm is plastic trim ,have you tried your local trade tiler shops , not the DIY sheds as they are hopeless :)

Hi Moz

Here's the problem. The tiles are 15mm thick - huge buggers as well I'm afraid. Here lies the problem, as the customer and female tile trim is a new concept, bath, sink, shower door, shower, taps shower tray, tiles, adhesive, grout, basin, wc and even remembered the wc seat. I thought I'd done really well but no I failed to buy the tile trim and this is where the problems began. I/we have not been able to source a trim chunky enough, so the tiles have gone on without tile trim (and the tile trim was holding up the whole bathroom job) hence my query about the aluminium strip. I have been forced to buy Porcelanosa "Perfils" for the window sills and stud wall but I need a metal strip to go along the top of the tiles as I have not tiled floor to ceiling.

Hi,

I think that an aluminium stockholder could fix you up with any size of ally strip you wanted. You may have to buy a fair length of it, mind you.

Shona
you done well my love .. ;)

but as bludger says .. most proper tile shops will sell lengths of trim , in just over 2 m lengths , dont worry they will cut it for you to take home

+ depending how you feel , you could put in very nice thick decorative plastic trim in many nice colours :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back