Using Hive on 2 separate boilers?

I'm still having probs with this... As shown on one of the pics I put up previously, the boiler has connections for a pump and a thermostat. I've wired up a simple test thermostat (simple on/off switch), which works as expected - turn the switch on and the burner fires up, turn it off and it shuts down. The pump is giving me issues tho - it's constantly on.

Just followed the wiring back for the pump supply terminals and the live comes directly from the boiler "On" switch :cautious: - I'd hoped it would be cleverer than that!

What are my options - run the pump through the thermostat and risk burning out the heat exchanger as there won't be any overrun? Is the output on the Hive enough to run the burner (115w) and pump (140w) at the same time? Edit - just opened the Hive box and is says on the stat: "Switching power: 3(1)A" - wish it would make up its mind - I need 1.06A!

Or is there some clever device from CPC or Maplins that will provide an output for 5 mins after the burner shuts off? Or maybe I should butcher my bathroom fan? :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge of your particular boiler, or any oil boiler for that matter, but why do you want to have a pump overrun? Does the boiler manual say that it should have one. Not all boilers require it.

Those that do need a pump overun, either have an inbuilt timer, or, they have a thermostat that keeps it running until the boiler has cooled sufficiently. If that is the case, I would recommend getting the boiler fixed so that it works as it should.

I can't find the manual for it (Ideal De Deitrich Falcon GT). It is extremely old! The later version says that it needs a 5 min overrun, but I guess that if this one doesn't even have the facility, then it doesn't really need one. I thought it might be a good idea rather than dumping extra heat in the basement, but I don't think I'll bother TBH.

Should have it up and running tomorrow :) Thanks for all your input stem, much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back