Using Hive on 2 separate boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a house with an oil boiler, and a static out the back with an LPG boiler.

Do you reckon I could get a Hive Multizone system to control them individually? Or would it be a case of having 2 totally separate Hive systems, so 2 Hive hubs plugged into my router and 2 separate logins?

Neither Google nor the chap at Hive seem totally sure either way...
TIA!

Update: yes you can - it works fine.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From an electrical point of view, I don't see why not. The Hive receiver is simply an on /off switch that can be wired to switch anything (within the limits of its current rating) a two zone kit will have two separate receivers each with its own on /off switch.

The Hive Multizone kit comes with an additional thermostat and receiver for each zone. So they can 'switch' independently of each other with no interconnecting wiring between the two 'zones' but would communicate via the same hub.

I can only see a problem if the two heating systems were not completely separate from each other, and were to have any shared plumbing or control parts. (this would still be the case if you had two separate Hive systems with a second hub, as you would still have the two receivers that would need to be wired exactly the same)

Normally I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer for a definitive answer, so it seems a bit odd that they can't give you one. Maybe there is something I am missing, or that you told them, that you didn't mention in your post. Personally, I would try asking them again and if they can't give you a definite answer ask them how you can get one. They ought to be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.

Thanks for the reply. I can't see why it wouldn't work either. The first chap at Hive didn't know, so went to ask a colleague then came back and said no, but didn't say why.

I installed the Hive in the static as it was straightforward, but the boiler in the house is more complex, so I've got a sparky coming tomorrow to help me out. I'll update the thread with the outcome, ready for the next person with 2 boilers googling for a solution!

Surely this can't work as the Hive has no way of switching the boilers independently of each other?
It just outputs 240v down a single wire when heat is called for.

Sponsored Links
The multi zone Hive will have one receiver like this for each zone:

Capture.JPG

Each receiver has its own set of voltage free contacts.

The idea of the multi zone Hive is to provide separate time and temperature control of each zone. They are only connected to each other via radio signals from the same Hive Hub.

I get that, but how would you specify boiler A to fire with a call for heat from zones 1, 2 and 3 and boiler B to fire with a call for heat from zones 4 and 5?

I guess that's down to the app/software which switches each receiver on and off as required. That bit's a bit too technical for me, but I will explain what I know.

I have only had experience of one 2 zone system that was installed because of the building regulations requiring separate zoning of new builds. It had a thermostat downstairs (Zone 1) and another thermostat upstairs (Zone 2). The app allowed separate time / temperature settings to be programmed for each zone. I didn't set up the app. but the owner had the upstairs heating set at 18 degrees and 'on' for a couple of hours in the morning and evening only. Whilst the downstairs was set to 20 degrees and 'on' all day at the weekend, but only mornings and evenings during the week. Somehow all of the components communicated via the Hive Hub, and each receiver (or zone) was switched on and off independently as required.

But in that scenario there's only one boiler, and there's no dispute that it can be used in those circumstances.
It's the second boiler which is the question here, and I can't see how it could be done using standard Hive kit.

Where there are multiple zones fed from a single boiler, each receiver is wired to a separate motorised valve. In this instance there is no electrical connection between the receiver and the boiler. Therefore, the two motorised valves could just as easily be two boilers.

Last edited:
when the multi zone hive is used each receiver powers and opens a zone valves for each zone and the zone valve then powers the boiler, in the above scenario the receiver would directly bring the corresponding boiler on so cant see how it wouldnt work. sorry Stem typing at the same time as you there

Drawings for clarification.

Simplified concept diagram with two zone system connected to motorised valves

MV.jpg

Same drawing but connected to two boilers

Boiler.jpg

In anticipation of your next question copea, in the example with the motorised valves, the motorised valves control the single boiler, by their physically operating a switch when they are fully open.

Sorry ianmcd typing at the same time as you there. :) Good job we said the same thing!

Hope Xenawales lets us know how it ends.

Last edited:
Thanks all, still sounding positive so far then! The house boiler will be a pain to wire (hope it's possible!) as it's an old commercial one! Will update tomorrow.

your boiler will have a terminal for external controls or a room thermostat you just wire the hive receiver. into that nothing difficult at all.

There's 3 thermostats, 2 pumps, one holiday switch, 2 isolating switches, a mechanical time switch, an archaic boiler with a newish burner and 3' stone walls in the basement to contend with! I'll do a wiring diagram ready for tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back